Got me some nice rocks.

littlebill31

Smells of Raw Fuel
Reaction score
Finally able to get out on the boat this morning. We caught 6 nice rockfish in about 2 hours. Home before 10 am.

fish.jpg

damn man, makes me want to bring my boat out. we go out mainly for cats though, so we're out at night. pain in the ass lol

Nice Fish littlebill!

My son Jesse and I made our first offshore run Friday out in the Gulf after installing a new GPS/Radar. Stopped at a weedline 70miles out and picked up a nice Dolphin. Left there to fish Falcon Rig which is in 390' of water. Caught a few undersized Amberjack and 1 keeper Scamp Grouper with Lots of break offs... Ran out to Dutra Rock for a few drops at just under 1100' but no takers. Worked our way back and fished a couple wrecks with no luck. Beautiful day on the water, clear skies and minimal wind. Got back at 1256am Sat morning. Got to use that Radar coming back in 76miles.
http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn315/rpgoerlich/Fishing/

If I got 70 miles away from land, I'd have to keep going until I got to the next continent. Preferably in a wooden ship with sails.

I wonder, do you go out that far to fish because of that BP oil release?

I'm on the east coast, Delaware/Maryland, and we have to go out to reach the Gulf stream. Marlins, and other fish, need to be in warmer water, around 70 degrees, to breed. And the smaller fish follow this stream. Big fish eat little fish. So, wherever the gulf stream is, we go. It might be really close to land, i.e. the outer banks, NC, so you don't need to go too far since the land mass goes way out into the Atlantic. Or, like MD/DE we need to travel a little farther. Plus the structure (underwater geographic features) make a big difference to where they feed. Here in Ocean City, Maryland we have the "White Marlin Open" and a ton of other fishing tournaments.

I wonder, do you go out that far to fish because of that BP oil release?

I did see a sheen of oil around a wreck I was fishing...
But I go that far because thats where the deep drop offs start(with Rigs around). 10-15miles to go from 350' to 1500'.
GulfMapofFalconDutraRock.jpg

When I was a kid all the fishing streams were polluted and dead, but on Sunday morning my dad and I used to watch those old fishing shows on TV, like this one. Remember them?

Richard, you might like this free book. You can download it in pdf. It's an account of La Salle's explorations of your area in the 1600s, trying to find the mouth of the Mississippi, from the Gulf.

Yep, Good reading for sure. Chapter 14 is where he got stuck in West Matagorda Bay just 40mi WSW of my fish camp(I'm on East Matagorda Bay). I believe a shrimper picked up one of the cannons in his net. Led to finding the remains of the vessel back in 1995. I remember when they built a dam around it and started excavating it. The remains are now housed in a museum in Palacios, TX. Link here: http://www.citybytheseamuseum.org/lasalle.html

When I was a kid all the fishing streams were polluted and dead, but on Sunday morning my dad and I used to watch those old fishing shows on TV, like this one. Remember them?

Growing up in Michigan, I fished alot. Even more now since I'm in Texas. Didn't have much time for those fishin shows! I do remember seeing some good outdoors shows, Michigan outdoors ect...

Richard, down here the fishin' shows usually included a local sports hero as, as best as I can remember. Johnny Reb takes Pete Rose fishing, or something. And some lower key ones that looked like home movies with sound.

Thanks for that museum link. I'm going to follow the links and take a virtual museum tour when I get time later. La Salle's story is so fascinating, and De Soto's as well. You can't make stuff like that up! I love to imagine life here as it was at that time, so near yet so far. Soooooo far.

Haven't sprung for this year's fishin license yet Bill, but soon I'll feel the urge I'm sure.

I am a total history buff. I actually have a bachelors in early American history. Half the stuff you read is, as XJWMX says, " You can't make [it] up". Like Jedediah Smith, the mountain man, who traveled more around the north west than anyone AND got mauled by a bear, then had a fellow trapper sew his scalp, and ear, back on. There is actually some new works out about weather or not Meriwether Lewis comitted suicide or not. Great stuff history is.
As they say, if you don't learn by it, you'll re-live it.

I once read a journal of the Lewis and Clark trip. Can't remember whose. It was amusing. They spend a lot of their time killing snakes for some reason. And being politic as possible with the natives while still bossing them around. Very much unlike La Salle. Maybe Manifest Destiny was making itself apparent by that time.

Back