Handle Bar Switch gear.

Kevin Werner

Amatuer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
The start, stop, hi-lo, on/off, horn, indicator switch housings take up 4 inches of realestate on the handle bars. Has anybody found narrower switch gear in the aftermarket or from other models or makes?
Resized_20211118_200000.jpeg

I notice it looks like you still have the plastic spacer ring installed between the MC and switch housing. I always remove them. That would narrow down the amount of space used on that throttle side. I'm not sure why Yamaha fitted them, the clearance between the brake lever adjuster screw and the switch housing is fine without it because the housing is "dished" out there .....

zLvXiOI.jpg

dvchMIP.jpg

And speaking of MCs, you might consider changing yours to a smaller one. It looks like you have the earlier round reservoir MC. Even the original later style with a 14mm bore is considered a bit too large for best brake modulation and "feel". That round one you have is even larger, 5/8" I think. Most of us change to something in the 11 to 13mm range. The one I pictured above is a 1/2" (12.7mm) unit off a Yamaha Vision. On my other 650, I have an 11mm unit. Both are an improvement over stock. I like to use stock Yamaha units from other models because they accept the same brake lever, use the original brake light switch, and have the reverse thread mirror mount like the original.

Thanks 5Twins. I have discarded that spacer but moving my hands in that extra inch or so was still a stance too wide for me. If I am going through this exercise I may as well avoid compromises. In another thread some one mentioned, maybe you, that a 90 cm brake line works with these lower bars. I assume that means eliminating the two hose system originally fitted. Do the ends retain the 15 degree (?) angle on the banjo fitting? Also, is there any twist added or are the ends both facing the same way on the new brake line?

Ducati Monster models have a narrow, free standing RH side kill/ run switch, plus starter button combo, which is just under 22 mm wide. (47 mm total with a Motion Pro throttle housing) So if you have a constant on, separate switch, or automatic on headlight, it is a good option.
The Ducatis have the headlight on/ off on the LH switch, together with hi/lo, pass, horn and indicator switches. However, that LH switch is 44 mm wide.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283635928253
Also, a different handlebar bend may allow sliding the controls further in. Maybe a BMW bar from the R75/ R90 models? Also, a Brembo master cylinder may be more compact than most OEM japanese alternatives..

Last edited:
Yes those bars have "buyers remorse" written all over them for that exact reason. I have another pair of bars with tighter bends and 3 or so inches narrower. The new bars have a smidge more pull back also. I have my riser bases in the machine shop getting turned down to fit Virago risers. When I can dry fit it all back together and check ride position I will know if further work and or narrower switch gear is needed. I am very gratefull for all the constructive input. :)

MOTOGADGET Kit is awesome and works very well.

Old switch gear was Honda:
HONDA 1.jpeg
HONDA 2.jpeg

HONDA 3.jpeg

New kit is Motogadget:
IMG_0049.jpeg

IMG_0048.jpeg

IMG_0050.jpeg

Although the triple momentary switches are REVIVAL own.

Last edited:
Back