handlebars

BruceDeuce

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have the stock handlebars on my XS650 Special and they bother my wrists. Looking for suggestions on alternative bars that will have the same distance on cables lines etc. Appears to be about 11" of cable from top of triple tree to controls. Seeking bars that rise and maybe 4" pullback.

I had exactly the same requirements, and I bought cb750 handlebars on ebay, either '80 or '81 or thereabouts. Much more confortable. Pretty much as if you took the stock special bars and bent the grips part toward the front. They are hated in the cb crowd like the stock special bars are here, so I think they were about $11.

I had exactly the same requirements, and I bought cb750 handlebars on ebay, either '80 or '81 or thereabouts. Much more confortable. Pretty much as if you took the stock special bars and bent the grips part toward the front. They are hated in the cb crowd like the stock special bars are here, so I think they were about $11.

xjwmx is right on those bars the cb guys HATE them and sell them cheap. i had a DOHC cb650 i think there about the same bars as a 750 and threy where alot more contortable then the stock special

I've said it before but obviously it bears repeating - Euro bars. These are the most comfortable bars ON THE PLANET. Try a set, you'll see why I'm all GA-GA over them. My old BMWs turned me on to them. They are the best. Stick your Honda bars up your ass. Nobody wants them for a reason (well, probably lots of reasons).

Thanks for the advice! I have a CB550 Four but those bars are too small. I will look into the CB bars. Hows the vibration with the Euro bars?

Kawasaki Z1 bars are a good comfortable fit also. I had them on my tracker project till I went to a lower wider tracker style bars. Here's a pic of them. If you are interested in them, pm me.

seat2.jpg

My old BMWs turned me on to them. They are the best. Stick your Honda bars up your ass. Nobody wants them for a reason (well, probably lots of reasons).

The Honda bars have weights built in the end so there's no vibration too. The reason nobody wants them is because nobody wants them. You like the euro bars because you associate them with a luxury brand. You can stick both paradigms up your own ass ;) ;)

I followed your build Dave very nice! Did you have any problems with the throttle cable, looked a bit stretched in the pics?

I followed your build Dave very nice! Did you have any problems with the throttle cable, looked a bit stretched in the pics?

The way you see it routed in the pic, it worked fine. No idle changes when turning full lock left or right, something you should keep in mind when changing bars. Check my pm for more info when changing bars.

I've said it before but obviously it bears repeating - Euro bars. These are the most comfortable bars ON THE PLANET. Try a set, you'll see why I'm all GA-GA over them. My old BMWs turned me on to them. They are the best. Stick your Honda bars up your ass. Nobody wants them for a reason (well, probably lots of reasons).

5twins :wtf: i was just say'n that for ones xjwmx is right the cb bars are more contortable then the stockers on a special. Im sure the Euro bars are good to and maybe better. but thats no reason to cornhole someone a part of bars...lol
and the CB guys take them off to put clipons or apes on. it depends on the look the good'n for.

I run a pair of what appear to be stock Standard bars from year unknown. They have the weights in the ends and are cut open between the mounts to allow hidden wiring or cables.....dunno. They do allow me to stretch me back out whilst riding. Not sure how sticking any bars up yer ass is gonna help the handling.....

If you're going to get new bars, you might try something xsjohn did, which was bend the grip part of his stock special bars forward, ending up with something like the ass bars. He just put them in a padded vice and gave them the heave-ho. What the ass bars give you is the palm facing down instead of to the side. One thing that gives you is an infinitely stronger grip on the brake lever.

In my case it wasn't the wrists that were suffering from the special bars it was my shoulders. After a few months of daily riding I couldn't raise my hands over my head. How many of me does it take change a light bulb? No amount! I could only sleep in certain postions too. I wondered if I had some vitamin deficiency. Looking up the symptoms I realized I had a rotator cuff issue in both arms. If I'd gone to a doctor he'd have probably wanted to do surgery. Anyway, I wondered if it was the stock handlebars and they way it was forcing me to have my arm turned for long periods of time. When I changed to the ass bars the problem gradually went away, until there isn't a trace of it anymore.

Essentially, the most comfy bars will line up with your knuckles when your hands are in the forward, riding position.

I use pro taper dirt bike bars and they are comfy as shit

You can jam the stock wires and cables onto any handlebar. I had very short low rise bars on my Special with all the stock parts including the master cylinder, it was a bit crowded but it worked. Anything you pick will be better than the ass special bars. But you will walk funny with em shoved, well you know. The XS650 standard handle bars aren't bad either.

RacerDave I received the handlebars and there just as you described them. Thanks Bruce

I was thinking about the Standard bar, or the Superbike bend I put on my SV. I like both. If I have enough room, the tracker is more or less a higher version of the superbike bar.
I give my old bars away, or throw them under the workbench. Everything up my ass gets there from the top down, but I understand you likeing the bars.:laugh:

Is that why some people say the special bar is a pain in the ass? Is this some traditional disposal of old handlebars I never heard of?

Back