HD early rims with late rotor

working class choppers

chop whatcha got
Reaction score
trying to mount up my brake rotor on the rear wheel
the ID of the rotor (late) is larger than the nub on the rim
i know they make a spacer adpater for this but i cant find one for sale anywhere??
anyone got a spot??

I have never seen or heard of one. I talked to a buddy who owns a local HD parts shop... his suppliers dont have them, only FLT adapters, but thats not what you need.

You might need to make it... or just buy the correct rotor. They're not that much.

Your trying to mount the stock xs650 rotor on a Harley wheel. That will be quite the trick. Harley uses a 5 bolt rotor, the xs650 uses a 6 bolt rotor. Good Luck.
Leo

Well, this brings up a question in my mind:

If I've got a Yamaha wheel with 36 spokes, and a Harley wheel with 36 spokes, couldn't I just take the rotor from the Yamaha and respoke it to the Harley rim? I know that there are several places on the web that teach you how to respoke a wheel.

Well, this brings up a question in my mind:

If I've got a Yamaha wheel with 36 spokes, and a Harley wheel with 36 spokes, couldn't I just take the rotor from the Yamaha and respoke it to the Harley rim? I know that there are several places on the web that teach you how to respoke a wheel.

Usually people start their own topic so the info is easy to find, but I'll throw in my 2 bits.

You mean relacing the yamaha HUB to the HD rim. Yes its possible. However, if the pattern is different, this will complicate things. The spoke holes are tapered for the direction the spoke is supposed to go. If the pattern is different, it might be better left to a pro, if its the same, its not TOO difficult, and can be done if you are mechanically inclined enough.

Spoke length won't change if the pattern is the same. If pattern is different, spoke length will change.

no i have a HD early 99 rim and i am mounting a 2000-up brake rotor
the id of the rotor is 2"
the od of the mounting hub is 1-1/2"
(i'm actually not sure the exact measures, just throwing numbers out for ref.)
the mounting holes loine up for the bolts, but the rotor does not fit snuggly around that center hub
almost every new rotor i can find is made for the larger hub
and it comes with an adapter ring for early wheels
however i can not find any company selling just the adapter

i dont want to change the rotor cuz then i have to change the front rotor as well

i have a custom sprocket specialties rear sprocket that fits perfect

no i have a HD early 99 rim and i am mounting a 2000-up brake rotor
the id of the rotor is 2"
the od of the mounting hub is 1-1/2"
(i'm actually not sure the exact measures, just throwing numbers out for ref.)
the mounting holes loine up for the bolts, but the rotor does not fit snuggly around that center hub
almost every new rotor i can find is made for the larger hub
and it comes with an adapter ring for early wheels
however i can not find any company selling just the adapter

i dont want to change the rotor cuz then i have to change the front rotor as well

i have a custom sprocket specialties rear sprocket that fits perfect

2000-up is approx 2.19" inside (measured by the machinist who was supposed to bore out my sprocket). Up to 1999, it was 2" inside. Custom chrome sells pretty much everything there is to be bought for a harley. You search through their catalog online, or call them. Good luck.

Yeah, I knew that. Yamaha doesn't use 36 spoke wheels either, but I was throwing out numbers for the sake of knowing the answer to the question. Thanx guys, this gives me something to go by.

My 74 TX650 wheels are 36 spoke. Their are actually harley wheels with 36 spokes too...

Back