Jim

Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Have a look here.
Anyone tried it?

brake-free-light-review-images-safety-motorcycle-helmet-light-4.jpg

Interesting. Just read through the link. Was surprised it didn’t actually communicate with the bike, but uses accelerometer / gyro tech to make it work. Would be interesting to follow someone on a ride with this in operation. I’ll search YouTube for it. With bumps in the road, would head movement activate the light? I guess the next generation may have turn signals?

Found a review:

An invention in search of buyers. I wonder if a brake light and an accelerometer brake light coming on at different times wouldn't confuse motorists at night. A cardinal rule of riding safely is don't confuse people.

I have a strip of red reflective material stuck on the back of my helmets for extra visibility at night. I read somewhere W. VA requires some area amount of reflective material on the back of your helmet. Can't hurt.

An invention in search of buyers. I wonder if a brake light and an accelerometer brake light coming on at different times wouldn't confuse motorists at night. A cardinal rule of riding safely is don't confuse people.
I agree. Using Bluetooth communication between the actual brake light, and the helmet brake light should be easy to integrate from the manufacturer.

Well if you confused them... it means you have their attention.
And that's kinda the point.
Let 'em be confused. It'll probably back 'em off some and have 'em keep an eye on you.

If you'd rather confuse than inform them, don't have any brake light at all :)

Using Bluetooth communication between the actual brake light, and the helmet brake light should be easy to integrate from the manufacturer.
Somebody gave me one of these, and it's fantastic. Nothing to do with brake lights or bluetooth but shows you can get several hours of blinding light out of something tiny that charges by USB

I was also concerned about a lack of unity among several lights causing confusion rather than information.
I ran a strobe on my mail car but it wasn't especially bright.
What you don't want to do is cause followers to fixate on one point, even if it's you!

If you'd rather confuse than inform them, don't have any brake light at all :)

Few choices we make are binary, so choosing between confused or no light at all is about as silly as they come. I'll stick with my original statement...
If you confused them... it means you have their attention.
And that's kinda the point.

Last edited:
I haven't used this system, but on my KTM I used a system that sensed I was engine braking and activated the brake lights by engine speed seeing as I didn't use my brakes a majority of the time. Also had one that flashed the rear tail when braking. I'm always for more safety but not sure this is it

While not the exact brand I used something along those lines. The engine braking one I had was by ST2 systems. Around $100 but worked a treat. That KTM engine braking was too good, make you lurch forward if you clicked down too quick

It kinda reminds me of a friend of mine. Years (lots of them) ago, his only means of transportation was a Honda 350. He was a "probie" at a local Volunteer Fire Dept. When a call came in, he would race to the station, on his motorcycle, with a flashing blue light suction cupped to the top of his helmet, powered by a 12v outlet he'd wired to the bike. Strangely (?) his response time was shorter than firefighters living much closer to the station...

It kinda reminds me of a friend of mine. Years (lots of them) ago, his only means of transportation was a Honda 350. He was a "probie" at a local Volunteer Fire Dept. When a call came in, he would race to the station, on his motorcycle, with a flashing blue light suction cupped to the top of his helmet, powered by a 12v outlet he'd wired to the bike. Strangely (?) his response time was shorter than firefighters living much closer to the station...

I'm getting real Leslie Nielsen Naked Gun vibes picturing that haha

Back