Homemade and Unique Tools

Resurrecting this ol' thread.

You guys that do a lot of fab work might find this useful or at least interesting:

I recently bought a Milwaukee Porta-band. I have an abrasive chop saw for the heavy stuff, I wanted a metal cutting bandsaw for working with sheet stock and light gauge black iron.

saw5.jpg

The porta-band is handy, but it's even handier with a stand and a table so you can use it hands free and in vertical mode.

Details and more pictures here.

Be happy to, but it'll be different for different brands of saws or even different models of Milwaukees.

Did you check the link? If something like that will work, I'd be happy to provide dimensions.

Hi Downeaster,
nice upgrade on the bandsaw but that table-mounted on/off switch bothers me.
What if you need to stop that saw right effin' NOW and you need both hands to hold onto something you don't want to let fall?
I'd recommend swapping that switch to an on-the-floor foot switch that you'd just need to lift your toe off to stop the saw.

Hi Downeaster,
nice upgrade on the bandsaw but that table-mounted on/off switch bothers me.
What if you need to stop that saw right effin' NOW and you need both hands to hold onto something you don't want to let fall?
I'd recommend swapping that switch to an on-the-floor foot switch that you'd just need to lift your toe off to stop the saw.

Not a bad idea. I'll have to see if I can find a foot switch.

I guess I should add a link.. I made this to clean some used injectors I used on my recent EFI and Twin Turbo upgrade to my 65 Impala.

Resurrecting this ol' thread.

You guys that do a lot of fab work might find this useful or at least interesting:

I recently bought a Milwaukee Porta-band. I have an abrasive chop saw for the heavy stuff, I wanted a metal cutting bandsaw for working with sheet stock and light gauge black iron.

The porta-band is handy, but it's even handier with a stand and a table so you can use it hands free and in vertical mode.

Details and more pictures here.

Downeaster,

I was given a somewhat smaller version of a band saw like the one shown here:
http://www.harborfreight.com/horizontal-vertical-metal-cutting-bandsaw-93762.html

Mine is actually an old american made saw, it needed a little work to fix up and make workable. I should think to take a picture or two of the table I made for it, close to what you built but I made mine out of particle board and some scraps of wood. I have used it to do some curved cuts in 1/4 steel that would take half a day to do with a hand hacksaw and not look anywhere as nice. I don't know about the speed yours runs at but I have yet to have any problems with it trying to grab anything I was cutting so I don't feel too worried about having a problem with reaching for the switch,

I used my porta-band for the first actual project yesterday and the foot switch was as handy as a pocket on a shirt. The safety issue is one factor but even setting that aside, the convenience is worth the price of admission.

Thanks again, Fred!

not earth shaking but "free".
Yugurt cup or any "right size" plastic cup keeps tall bottles from tipping over "as much".
Hint; buy your propane bottles in the camping section, the squat short bottle helps the propane torch stay upright.
quart oil bottles cut up into all kinds of useful shop aids, I have cut the side out of hundreds for small parts bins.
dscn7403-jpg.100201

dscn7402-jpg.100202

Last edited:
This is pretty simple but works a treat.
DSCN3884.JPG

Squeeze bottle with knees to fill that hard to reach radiator, windshield washer reservoir, etc. I have a smaller version using a dish detergent bottle for battery top offs. 'nother simple trick; Label bottle with magic marker cover that with packing tape so it doesn't rub off. :thumbsup:

Back