Horn Assembly (on the inside)?

Mackels

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The horn assembly? Normally I take pictures when I take stuff apart for this reason. However, with the adjustment screw removed first then removing the screws to the cover caused the contents to come out a bit more haphazardly than I anticipated.
I have looked and looked but can't seem to find the order of assembly to the stock horn 77D.
I went through a few different options. Yes I am getting power. I did clean the points. I get a buzz, but when I put the cover on( screwed down into place), I don't. Does anyone know the order of the internals?
I have power and a buzz when I do the following. From bottom to top ( top being inside the housing or the bolt with the post on it) The black small bell shaped piece (where the adjustment nut holds) two washers, Large black disc, washer with paper gasket then smallest black washer (has two notches that seem to fit into the cross pattern on the housing bolt).
My thought is that the smaller bell shaped disc on the bottom is hitting the edges of the cover preventing it from vibrating. So, moving one washer to the other side of the large black disc would move the bell shaped disc further away from the cover. However; I tried that and did not get any results.
So, anyone the order of assembly?

If you don't get replies with the info you need, I need to replace mine on my '75 and could document a disassembly if you need.

I don't think many folks try to repair these, they just replace them. Contact gggGary, I'm sure he could set you up.

i've got my replacement horn on the table ready to switch. I can give the old one a shot at disassembly tonight.

Ok Mackels, here you go. Not much to it. In order of disassembly, as parts came off I started in the bottom right of the paper and stacked them up in columns. You should reverse the order for reassembly.
5F3C45BA-91F1-4311-9BF8-74D0C55DC241.jpeg
16CC2B1F-8192-4B45-8F59-D5C17E4CFCBD.jpeg
6FED0BE0-52F3-47D0-90A7-A0FDAA3B7D73.jpeg

I found my problem as it appears a solder came of on the left side and was only connected by 2 strands of wire. There are a couple washers that had a fiber type backing attached that did not want to separate. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else before this hits the trash this weekend.

I'm going to ebay to see what OEM horns are worth, I've got a box full, don't know why I ever saved them. $3 - $5 from China, 2nd try might be a good one.

Scott

Back