how much seafoam to put with oil?

toddr513

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tried finding how much seafoam people put with their oil and couldnt find the answer....1.)how much do you guys put in with your oil 2.)do you always run your bike with seafoam mixed in with your oil or just every so often...

The manufacturer recommends 1 1/2 oz per qt, however I would question doing it in a motor with no fine particle oil filter.
Seafoam is a detergent and will clean deposits from the inside of the engine and put them in solution in the oil. Do you want all that gunk being pumped to the bearing and wear surfaces?
If for some reason you do feel this is a good idea I would add it before an oil change, take a 15 or 20 minute ride and then change the oil.
Most people who are using Seafoam are using it as a fuel system cleaner, at which it excels.

well the reason i even bring it up is i hear a lot of people doing it to help clean any carbon ....is there a better way to help clean out the inside of your engine? this bike has been sittin for some time

just fresh engine oil. Modern oils contain a butt-load of detergents already. Change the oil, go for a 15-20 mile to get it good and hot, and change the oil again. That's all you really need to do.

Back