Hydraulic Clutch Intrest?

What would you be willing to pay for a purpose built xs650 hydraulic slave cylinder?

• Under $100

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • $100 - $125

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • $125 - $150

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • $150 - $175

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • $175 - $200

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters
Another FYI. Nominal pushrod force is around 400 lbs. With a 1" piston, you'll be around 500 psi. Suppose you made the main body as your 3D model, and separately made a precision bored/lapped cylinder/sleeve, that would insert into your body?

image.jpeg
My sample is in the mail. I'll post results.

Metal, that looks like a good quality 3D print...

As an update, I finally got all the bits required to hook up the slave cylinder... I managed to get about 2.4-2.6mm of stoke with the 28mm piston and 12.9 mm master cylinder that I'm using...

Extended piston shown below... the piston normally sits flush with the housing...

CTtnH4fJMIOj0kJIUo2tCq-2hw1X0pUkLi98=w1240-h698-no.jpg

:cheers:

Last edited:
Hi Pago, thx for the heads up...

No issues with mounting or fitment... I was able to confirm the fitment with the 3D print that I did prior to committing to machining the real thing...

As a courtesy, Metal started this thread. My post to Oddjob was intended somewhat in jest.
Hey Metal - you still thinking of an IPO on this thing?? I count half a dozen interested at sub $200.

I have installed Heiden hydraulic clutch it has a pull effort close to the clutch pull of 650 Central E-Z Pull clutch cable. I always expected an easier pull with a hydraulic clutch. I would be interested with this hydraulic clutch with a much easier pull it would ease my carpal issues.

I have installed Heiden hydraulic clutch it has a pull effort close to the clutch pull of 650 Central E-Z Pull clutch cable. I always expected an easier pull with a hydraulic clutch. I would be interested with this hydraulic clutch with a much easier pull it would ease my carpal issues.

I also had some carpal tunnel issues and I have found that Shock-Tek gloves really help. They're made in the US, nice quality and not expensive - the only gloves I use now.

http://www.shocktek.com/

Pete

Last edited:
As a courtesy, Metal started this thread. My post to Oddjob was intended somewhat in jest.
Hey Metal - you still thinking of an IPO on this thing?? I count half a dozen interested at sub $200.
Whomever is on this, lm I'm. Also, if a small production run of this doesn't scream gofund me.com , nothing does.

:hijack: alert!
ihaxs650 - highly recommend to get the surgery.
After 50 years riding and prolly over 400k miles, a couple years ago it started. Within 3 months I could barely pull in the clutch. Clutchless upshifts are hard on equipment...
Got the surgery - outpatient. I think it was $2k, and I had to pay $200 via our insurance. I was back to work the next day, although its tough on a keyboard with one hand... Within a month I was riding, although it was maybe 50%. Dr. said exercising it would help. In another month I was, and remain 100%.
All that said, I'm still looking forward to this mod.

I have 3 XS650 projects going on now and 2 of them could sure use a hydraulic clutch. I`m ready when you are. Let us know. Thanks.

PersonalIy I would temper expectations a little bit... There's a lot going on other than just assembling things... It would probably take 4 to 6 months of testing just to validate the seal/gland design... Just my opinion...

To keep this moving forward...

For a finished product being marketed and sold across the country/world, with manufacturing facilities, packaging, distributors, help desks, and product liability insurance, sure; that takes time. This approach would also take say, $20k and turn it into $2k rapidly. No one will get rich making these; if lucky, they may be able to cover their beer costs while they are doing the machining...:cheers:

But to make a dozen or so and sell them as "XS 650 parts", with no warranty expressed or implied, this should be a lot simpler, if someone had the skills, tools, time and interest to do it. Heck, other than the piston size that I asked about awhile ago, all the info is out there; and no disrespect meant to anyone, but it ain't rocket science. You've both done a superb job in the modeling (Metal) and the first unit (Oddjob).

So I'll go out on a limb and pose the question I think a few are thinking....:twocents:
Metal - are you still interested in pursuing this? Enquiring minds want to know...:poke: And I think there are at least half a dozen folks serious enough to part with some greenbacks...

Oddjob - how is yours working out? Did you have to alter the clutch pushrod?

Back