I just can't ride more than an hour.

hotrdd

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I really hope that you guys can help me out, I'm just so uncomfortable on my bike that I'm not sure I can keep riding it. The thought of a few hours on the bike is just not going to happen. I'm considering ripping the bike apart this winter to try and lower the seat so that I have more coverage behind the wind screen and can maybe stretch my legs out more, I also thought that maybe stretching the swing arm and moving the seat back might help. I need some thoughts or ideas on things I can try before I start chopping the bike again.

I've been slowly working a bunch of bugs out of the bike but in general having been using the bike as a daily commuter. This means anywhere from 90 km to 200 km round trip depending on which office I'm in. I've been carrying all of my gear in my backpack. I have a very wide Harley fatboy seat and forward controls so that my legs are at about 120 to 130 degrees. I'm a runner and stay in good shape but at 6'6"I love the bike but am wondering if I'm going to be able to find a position where I can ride for more than an hour or two without all the pain. My 1hr ride to work consists of me sliding around on the seat constantly or ducking low behind the wind screen to get some cover. Relaxing while I ride is not an option unless I'm doing less than 80 km/h.

Of course I don't have any pictures handy that I can post right now. Right now I don't care about the look I want something I can ride.

Well maybe some sadlebags to start with.the backpack is part of the problem. I have sadlebags and backpack I'm way more comfee without the pack on my back. maybe a tank bag might work too. just a thought

Yeah you don't really notice how fatiguing the backpack is until you strap it to the bike and ride without it, so that's one thing that will help but it sounds like you've got other stuff to work out. I don't usually ride for more than 2 hours without a break on any bike. Even if I'm doing a 16 hour day I'm stopping every couple for gas, snack, stretch etc.

As others mentioned the back pack has to go. Either get saddle bags or at least tie the backpack on the back of the bike. Bungee cords are your friend.
I found that adjusting the bars up or down a bit makes a big difference. If to low I get pain between my shoulder blades after a short time.
You mentioned ducking down behind your wind screen. Your windscreen should be adjusted so the top edge is just below your line of sight. If properly designed and adjusted the wind gets diverted up over your head and itremains calm behind it. Change the angle it sets at.
Leo

You guys are probably right, I'm not sure that I've ever even ridden without the backpack on. I'm going to see if I can find a tank bag to start and maybe head out for an hour or two this weekend without the backpack.

I have the factory suspension setup NOT a rigid, BUT is my two+ hours of riding each day a little aggressive?

I've had 11 hour days on my 75. I got a bit tired but the bike was fine.
Try adjusting things a bit. One thing at a time of course, to be sure the adjustment is better or worse. On my Harley I moved the bars about 1/2 inch forward and it made a terrific diference.
Leo

How do you easily change the position of the bars without buying new bars each time? I guess my biggest problem is that since this is my first real motorcycle I don’t have anything to compare it too. I’m relying on you guys to tell me if what I’m experiencing is normal.

What I would do:

Progressive shocks in the back
A comfy euro bar, or something similar
Tank bag or saddlebags
Fill the bars with a bar snake or something similar to cut down on the vibration
Make sure the seat is actually a good fit..stock harley seats actually are not the best. A jell pad may help on top of the seat.

If you ride down to a shop, im sure they wont have a problem with you sitting on your bike holding a few different styles of bars in place till you find ones you like, but euro bars are known to be comfy as hell.

Buy an old Goldwing for a commuter.

My 82 with a Vetter fairing is warm, vibration free, and boring. But it's a motorcycle for distance.

or an old BMW. Late 70 to early 80s.

2 hours a day is not aggressive. You are a tall guy folded up on a relatively short frame length from seat to bar. I agree with ditching the backpack. I am on my third Nelson-Rigg tank bag. Get an expandable one. You can carry more than you would think in one. A tail bag works nice if you still have a grab rail. I use both on my SV. Look at getting some case guards or one of those inexpensive highway bars that just holds a set of footpegs, to give your legs another place to go. Larger diameter grips can help, and of course, different bars. I find that the best comfort for me comes from a bar that lets my forearm stay parallel with the ground.

Get an old mans back rest. You can lean back and relax instead of holding that death grip on the handle bars. Also, if you don't already have one, a full face quality helmet for a quite ride and a warm face.

mybike4.jpg

Pete's bike sure is purty! You will notice, he has the shield, the highway bar, the bigger grips, the backrest, and a place to tie down the stuff you are carrying in your backpack. So, do yours like that and give 'er a whirl! I have a king and queen touring seat from JC Whitney on mine, and it sits nice for distance, IMHO. I think they can still be had from Travelcade.

One of the problems with my height is that the windscreen I have just isn’t tall enough and I think it may be causing too much turbulence in the helmet and also leading to my neck and back pain. But I’m a tall guy so I’ve never actual sat on a bike with a windscreen that is tall enough. Looks like I have a few things that I need to try out. I’ll make a bucket list and start making changes until I find one that feels better. First thing though is to get rid of the backpack.

I'm a tall guy too, 6'5". My best advice and experiance. Ditch to fairing altogether and get a water proof riding jacket, fullface helmut, and electric vest. As for egos, I like a leaned forward attiude so the wind force at criuse is holding up your wieght. Not aggressive like a sportbike, just leaned forward. This will get your body wieght off the tail bone and transfer it to your thieghs. Next is lower your pegs about an inch, XS's have tall peg hieghts.

Also, like almost everyone says, get rid of the back pack. Not only uncomfortable, but lethal in a crash. I read one accident report where the BP flew forward and broke the riders kneck.

To adjust the position of the bars, loosen the riser bolts, roll the bars up or down a bit, tighten the riser bolts.
Easy to do.
Leo

One of the big mistake the Jap's made was that they made their bikes to suit there size ie.short,Im not tall & my 650 is uncomftable after a hour,about to try a Airhalk,(air seat pad)good luck

ttwp.gif

Really we can't do anything to help til we see you on the bike. Bike fit is very personal. I love my six fitty's but at 6' 3" If I was headed off cross country, my big ole shadow 1100 with floor boards windshield and I WOULD have a back rest in place.... That dang Pamco pete has that awesome sliding backrest. I had one of those and let it go with a bike, I sure wish I hadn't, I have been trying to find another ever since.
A correctly set rear suspension is critical no matter how good the ergonomics you will be sore if you are constantly bracing for a coming jar from pavement bumps. When I have done cross country rides without a backrest I stacked stuff in the passenger position till I could lean against it.

Ditto Gary. My '03 Road Star has a driver backrest, windshield, throttle, lock, highway bar, and a big damn gas tank that will go 200 miles between fill-ups if I keep it under 75mph. Distance requires lots of comfort, or lots of character (sometimes stupidity can substitute for the charactrer part).
I don't se me doing much more than a 350-400 mile day on the XS without a backrest and shield. About the same outer limit as the SV.

They ride awesome! Like most, suspension uprades help, but I get a feeling you'll love it! Might not dig the lower bars on the S model, but you'll get the picture!

Back