I know you guys like pictures...

XStretchified650

Back in the 650 Saddle
Reaction score
Hi Forum,

Here is my 77D. It's not done yet but it's getting very close. I parked it in 1989 and then started this restoration project in 2009. Well, it's 2014 so that makes FIVE YEARS of working on it in the winter. This year has been the big push to finish and get it on the road.

Still to finish:... exhaust hangers...install the inline fuel filters...make stops for the centerstand and kickstand.........BUY GASOLINE.

(then I'll see how she runs).

XStretchified

Attachments

• IMG_2213.jpg
    IMG_2213.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_2214.jpg
    IMG_2214.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_2220.jpg
    IMG_2220.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_2222.jpg
    IMG_2222.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_2223.jpg
    IMG_2223.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
Square Circle...Fredintoon,

Thanks for the kind words. A lot of work done and the forum knowledge base and 650 gurus were key. It's shiny yeah, did I mention that..... my fingers are still bleeding?

XStretchified

looking great. Extraordinary attention to detail .:wink2:

I love the cafe style seat looks really comfy, ideal for those of us with a weak lumbar . Do you remember where it came from ?

+1 on everything said before. Looks fantastic. Hope mine looks that good when it's done.
Yamimoto

Thats one of the nicer looking bikes I have seen. I like the seat. Great job.

The seat was from Hondaclassic31 in Vietnam. I bought the skin and the shaped foam from them and installed it onto my original hinged seat pan. That site is closed but it may have just become motorcycleseatsdirect.com.

The bars were from Dennis Kirk...Flanders 7/8 Euro Low Clubman Handlebar. 30" wide and 2 1/2" rise. They clear the tank fine.

The mirrors are from Dime City....#Bemirror-1.

XStretchified

Nice looking. I am not normally die hard for stockers, but that is one clean looking build sir. Like how you did the air box..

That is one drop dead gorgeous ride. WOW!!

The centerstand stop need be nothing more than some heater hose on the tang. However, with your braced swingarm, you may need something that will stop it a little lower .....

BracedStand.jpg

TangRubber.jpg

For the sidestand, if you do a bit of re-fabbing on the tang, moving it up or forward a little, it will contact on the headpipe mount bracket .....

SidestandTang2.jpg

SidestandTang3.jpg

Basically, you just cut the angle brace, bend the tang up a little, then re-weld the brace.

5Twins.... I'll take your approach and rework the sidestand tang.

I'll bend it up some and then add a prong to it that will stop against the frame. Right now when the foot comes up and rests on the engine bottom, the tang is still 3" away from the frame. Now that I look at it, that tang should be farther from the ground anyway.

To stop the centerstand, I came straight down off the the exhaust hanger with a leg that contacts the centerstand foot. To make the leg, I reworked one of the chrome hangers that came with the mufflers and attached a rubber stop.

I used bronze bar stock for the exhaust hangers. Yea, they are a bit heavy. Now don't everybody start giving me flack about heavy hangers.....I'll eat a few salads before I ride. Hell..I missed so many meals working on this thing I am fifteen pound to the good already.

XStretchified

Nice looking. I am not normally die hard for stockers, but that is one clean looking build sir. Like how you did the air box..

I would say the bike goes beyond a stocker. Five years to build? It shows! I spent two years and I thought that was long enough. I'm sure you can't wait until the first kick and hear it come to life.

cra-z1......Five years yes but only working on it during winters. If I count the active build time it would be 18 months of time spent.

You are spot on about 'hearing it come to life'.......How did you know I would be using the kicker? ......Definately I will be doing just that.

XStretchified

Really good looking bike! And I think that style is becoming more fashionable again, I have noticed that even motorcycle manufacturers have started to make factory-ready cafe racer style bikes. But not so good looking as yours!

Pasi

I suppose I should 'fess up and tell you my tang was totally homemade. That stand was missing it's tang. Here it is compared to a stock one. I also built the foot up to decrease the lean angle caused by longer rear shocks .....

ModdedSideStand.jpg

And while you're stand modding, put a grease fitting on it .....

SidestandMount.jpg

SideStandGreaseNipple2.jpg

Back