Ignition coil replacement

rafbobber702

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, so my ignition coil has gone bad/faulty on my 79 XS650 recently. I've gone to check out the part number, and it has part # 12V CM12-08 908. After doing some research I find out that this ignition coil I have on my motorcycle is from a 78-80' XS1100 or 81' XJ650 I believe. And this one has 2 spark plug wire connections on the unit. By the way the motorcycle has been running fine prior to this recent event of the ignition coil going bad.

Now as I look for a new one. I did find the proper replacement, but the ignition coil has just 1 spark plug connection on the unit as a oppose to 2 on the one I currently have on.

My issue is which do I get? A new ignition coil of the one I currently have, which I can't seem to find. Or a new one of the original, for my year/model that has only 1 spark plug connection, which would mean I need to purchase 2.

Thanks, I appreciate everyone's input and help.

Currently on the motorcycle; 78-80' XS1100 or 81' XJ650
8198384398_45451a26b5.jpg

Original; 75-79 XS650
621262551_o.jpg

Do you have TCI? If so there's a two spark plug made in Japan Honda coil that works which you can find used for cheap. I have gone through two or three (honestly can't remember) of Mike's standard black coils for TCI in the last year.

^I should know if '79 has tci but I don't. You need to wait here for somebody to tell you :), or else dl a manual for it from maybe biker.net and find out.

Look under the circular chrome covers on the head and if there's nothing much there, you have either tci or some aftermarket ignition.

'79 was still a points setup. Like xjwmx said look under the covers up top and see if you have a mechanical advance and points.

When your looking at your engine at the top there will be a circular chrome cover with 2 screws holding it on.Remove these to check if you have points on the left side as you are sitting on the bike.On the right side should be an Auto Advance Unit. If you spend some time on here and read you'll find what you need to know.Also check out Mikesxs.com for parts and info.Get a Manual. If all else fails just ask on the forum there are some very knowledgeable people on the forum.

Thanks I will do so. Say if it does have the advance and point. Will that determine which coil ignition to get, of the two I posted.

Also I saw at Mikesxs.net a Pamco electronic igniton kit Part #14-0901; for $142.
http://www.mikesxs.net/product/14-0901.html
Says that it replaces the stock breaker point ignition system for my year/model. Although pricey for what im looking for right now. Could I use this setup as another option as well?

Yeah, the pamco setup is a great system.That's what I have and install was easy. My bike is a '78 so it is the same as yours for the ignition. Mine had two single plug coils as yours should have stock.Check and see about what you have to make sure.

If you have points and a two plug wire coil you would have only one set of points and you also have a special points cam that has two bumps. The standard points cam has just one bump.
OR you already have a Pamco installed.

ttwp.gif

Really, post up some pics so we can help instead of guess.

I think your TCI(transistor controlled ignition) is under the seat just behind the key?
You will need a wasted spark coil(2 spark wires).
And it may NOT be an xs650 system. But you did buy a custom bike...
Check with the PO for more info.

I'll check if there's a module under the seat.

The previous owner, wasn't the builder. He was an enthusiast like myself. He has just as much knowledge as I do as to what was built on it.

Thanks for the pics, that pretty much leaves two possibilities a stock TCI or a boyer bransden ignition. either of those can be ID'd by removing the round "yamaha" cover on the LH front lower engine.

That is a kind of ambigious label but It LOOKS like the voltage regulator the TCI is a black plastic box about 3" x 5" x 1" with wires out to a 6 or 8 pin plug. The TCI does NOT have 3 yellow wires in the bundle.

IF your Avitar bike is the one we are talking about it could be anywhere but often jammed inside a fake oil tank with a bunch of other electrical parts, wire ties, black tape and foam rubber. The wires will be random colors, connections might be anything from heat shrink solder joints to home wiring nuts and go out through holes in the "tank" with poor or no grommets to protect them from sharp edges. A battery of marginal or smaller size will shoved in there or somewhere else. Back up and show us a couple of shots of the bike? because I'm just guessing again.

Back