Interesting motorcycles, not XS650

I took a very ratty H1 750 for a quick ride back in the mid 70s. I wasn't game to give it any throttle, such was its reputation, I did notice though when turning, one way it wanted to stand up, the other way it wanted to lay down. Even though I was going very, very slowly, that scared the crap out of me.
The H2 500 was the one that got all the attention and scared the crap out of everyone, makes you wonder what the H1 was like???

I'm sure I've seen that bike before - remember the clever name.

First impression, Oh yes please! Then - must be a sign of age - you think but what would I actually use it for? Would I ride it kinda sensible like, revs down, briefest moments nudging the power band, like scratching an itch when you hope nobody is watching? Or would I complete every errand in double-quick time, ripping up the roads, weaving through traffic, engine on song, mono-wheeling away from every traffic light, early everywhere, including me own funeral?

Last edited:
I took a very ratty H1 750 for a quick ride back in the mid 70s. I wasn't game to give it any throttle, such was its reputation, I did notice though when turning, one way it wanted to stand up, the other way it wanted to lay down. Even though I was going very, very slowly, that scared the crap out of me.
The H2 500 was the one that got all the attention and scared the crap out of everyone, makes you wonder what the H1 was like???
The 500 was known as the H1. The earliest one (1969) was wicked fast. Later years were detuned somewhat, and the rake decreased to keep the front end down. The 750 came later as the H2 and had the well-deserved moniker, "widow maker" due to flexy frame, not-so-good stoppers and stupid power.
I have similar pipes on mine (without stingers) and they make a lovely sound at full shriek.

Two of my brothers had H1s. I rode one with pipes, jetting and pods, and the bronzes bushings in the swingarm. It seemed good to the starry eyed kid I was at the time. I could hear and feel the incredible power it had and I am probably still here today because the clutch was still stock and when it hit the pipe, revs would zing to red line with no further oommff.

The 500 had a fairly good reputation . Besides the well know front wheel in the air and so
Which not all was disappointed on "Power is for using --Right lads " whereupon all Britt bike owners was looking down wards into the coffee mug. Trying -- light at the front end the response " Bull and S*it "

I have heard complaints on the 750 which was much rarer . First and Second gear to dangerous to give gas
in third not running properly in the carbs . Since it was rare it can have been that one but I heard complaints of it being difficult get running properly
Then soon came the 4 strokes game changers

1700363521885.png

1936 V4

Finally got the SR500 starting reliably. After MANY MANY hours banging my head against the wall, melted seized piston , missed matched ignition parts, and rookie mistakes. Probably going to ride it Sunday to see how it runs and do any carb tuning in the spring.

Hope this post is Ok here some of the XS650 Society guys didn’t like it LOL

68433474414__7FD80E01-94B2-4EA2-BD4A-CC8F4DDC3713.jpeg
IMG_2796.jpeg

Finally got the SR500 starting reliably. After MANY MANY hours banging my head against the wall, melted seized piston , missed matched ignition parts, and rookie mistakes. Probably going to ride it Sunday to see how it runs and do any carb tuning in the spring.

Hope this post is Ok here some of the XS650 Society guys didn’t like it LOL

View attachment 255679View attachment 255680
Great Sled, you should have run a build thread on it.

Back