Interesting motorcycles, not XS650

My local friend Al from Jordan NY has been working on this project for 8 years and has just finished it.

He started with this '68 Wards Mojave (made in Italy by Benelli):

View attachment 254314

In his own words,
"I fitted a '72 Triumph engine and added wheels and suspension from a Cagiva. That makes the bike 2/3 Italian 1/3 British. It is finally done and on the road (just in time for winter). It has 40 miles on it and I already have reworked several things and have a list with 5 or 6 more things to re-do. But it runs fine, handles well and when warm will start with one kick."

He did all of the work himself.

View attachment 254315

I will share your comments with him.

Beautifully looking bike. Soft colour and the fin work really makes it stand out. Overall a real well balanced build with nice lines.
Snagged the finished pic.
💯👏

CRAZY HD TRACKER
More here: https://www.bikeexif.com/harley-pan...8adb4f9da9283ded77.jpg&utm_campaign=BEX231110
1699707350798.png

1.PNG

FRONT BRAKE LOOKS A BIT FLIMSY!

That dude is so proud of his sickle. And why not. Touch of Freddie Mercury about him too?
It’s a photo of my uncle on a coast to coast trip after the war. The bike is a 1946 Harley-Davidson knucklehead. I posted it on here before.

@650Skull edited the photo. It’s much better now.

Last edited:
Wow! Brings home the relative ease of operation of modern bikes. Or at least something with controls closer to what we are used to - foot change, clutch under left hand and all that. Think I could just about cope with a manual advance/retard but start adding mixture lever, foot clutch, hand change, effectively no brakes and it all gets too much to process. The Missenden Flyer was having fun on a private road but compare one of those veterans with anything modern, where modern probably means anything after WW2, and it's chalk and cheese.

Few years back at the Jimmy Guthrie Run in Denholm, there was a bloke with a 1913 Triumph. Beautiful old thing. He was talking to a bystander about riding the bike in modern traffic and he said basically, you can't. Not safely. You have to avoid public roads, except riding in a marshalled cavalcade like the Guthrie Run. The problem was not anything inherent with the Triumph - it's the brakes on modern cars. And bikes. Even on an organised run you need to keep your wits about you and plan well ahead. People just stop and expect you to be able to stop as well, not realising that the rider on the older machine requires advance notification of your intention. Delivered by telegram?

BTW thank you posting that vid, Ads.

Last edited:
Back