Interesting motorcycles, not XS650

Hmmm....the orange one, I agree those forks look questionable; the "thumbs-up guy" is running a lot of rake:questionable; the rest have "upside down" forks that are probably OK - guessing.

I've never actually ridden a "Boss Hoss". I did have a Honda Rune for two years - awesome bike!

You know the thing I’ve always wondered about, with these motorcycles that have had ginormous car engines installed in them……..why don’t the forks snap under all that weight and abuse? 🤔
View attachment 223676View attachment 223677View attachment 223678View attachment 223679View attachment 223680
Bob, may I just quote & edit your posting?

You know the thing I’ve always wondered about, with these motorcycles that have had ginormous car engines installed in them……..why?

I did have a Honda Rune for two years - awesome bike!

Yeah, I knew a guy who had one, he loved it!
D0C99915-F2D0-4AF4-A9BD-7097D48872B5.jpeg

Yeah, I knew a guy who had one, he loved it!
View attachment 223681
The Rune was simply amazing; for 800lbs (low CG) it actually handled quickly and precisely: stiff frame and funny looking forks. A little countersteer input and it would do whatever was asked. 120hp IIRC.

The Allison 250 was developed as a helicopter engine. The ones I worked on were early dash 20 engines. The core, without accessories weighed about a 100lbs and converted jet-A into about 400hp. They were used in Hughes 500 helicopters.

Now why on earth would someone stick one in a motorcycle.... because they can? :umm:

1661966233184.png

1661966267836.png

1661966289738.png

The Allison 250 was developed as a helicopter engine. The ones I worked on were early dash 20 engines. The core, without accessories weighed about a 100lbs and converted jet-A into about 400hp. They were used in Hughes 500 helicopters.

Now why on earth would someone stick one in a motorcycle.... because they can? :umm:

View attachment 223689

View attachment 223690

View attachment 223691
I loved his story about melting the front bumper of the car pulling up too close behind him.

Yeah, it's a good story.... but (spoiler alert)
The exhaust on one of them motors makes a good hand warmer in winter. You can hold your hands about 3-4ft away from the exhaust.
Over 90% of the heat generated is converted to power. Ain't much left over comin' out the exhaust stacks.

I know a guy with a Rune, He loves it.
Several folks, male and female in our riding group at large have various Boss Hoss models, two wheel and 3 wheel.
One guy that use to come to bike nights had one with a 502 and nitrous. He showed up later to a bike night as he had to stop for his wife to buy socks, the ducted air through the radiator exited the body work at her ankles and was uncomfortably hot.

Back