Is it my turn? Anything to do with lathes, mills and other shop tools

We have a HF locally, but they've irritated me to the point of having a bad attitude with them. First time was about 5yrs ago when I was gearing up my bike shop and they had (what appeared to be) a jim dandy 20Ton press I wanted and had it on SALE. Well, I couldn't buy it online - in store only offering. So I go to the store - nope - don't have one in stock. But it's the feature Sale Item in this month's flyer?? When ya gonna have them? Dunno.
Can I order one? No.
Can you order one? No, we get a truck every Tuesday - never know what's coming - you'll just have to check back........:banghead:

So this goes on a while - no press. Wanted other stuff - in store only - never in stock.

I got an attitude after a while: if they can't sell me what I need/want when I need it, I ain't buying stuff they do have (that I can get elsewhere too):shrug:

I wanted and had it on SALE. Well, I couldn't buy it online - in store only offering. So I go to the store - nope - don't have one in stock. But it's the feature Sale Item in this month's flyer?? When ya gonna have them? Dunno.

That seems to be a common theme with Harbor Freight, I‘ve ran into the same thing here at different locations, they advertise a sale and have no inventory. I’m beginning to think it’s intentional, loss leaders to pull people in to buy other things. And only giving each store a few of the items on sale. :shrug:

Today I went to HF for some heavy duty tie down rings, I think it’s the only thing they were out of. I ended up going to Lowe’s but I needed the fasteners anyway. 70830588470__2ECFEF34-FF03-46D2-A151-E68BF090E155.jpegI’m getting a little overwhelmed with some of the things I’m finding.IMG_6236.jpegIMG_6252.jpegIMG_6246.jpegIMG_6245.jpeg I guess it should be expected from someone that collected tools for over 70 years.

Today I went to HF for some heavy duty tie down rings, I think it’s the only thing they were out of. I ended up going to Lowe’s but I needed the fasteners anyway. View attachment 245133I’m getting a little overwhelmed with some of the things I’m finding.View attachment 245134View attachment 245136View attachment 245135View attachment 245137 I guess it should be expected from someone that collected tools for over 70 years.
Thumbs up on the surface plate and mic! I also have the Champion plug firing indicator but certainly not its original box!

Not really a lathe or milling machine, but still a very handy tool when machining and fabricating. A "Grattec" brand deburring tool, 4 tools in one, sort of a machinist's Swiss Army knife. It has a small countersink bit on a cranked arm, very handy for light deburring of drilled holes up to 3/8" or 9.5 mm. Then two different curved deburring blades (like a NOGA brand tool), and a tiny triangular blade/ scrapers for any hard to reach spot. My machinist son gave me this for Christmas years ago, and I use it often.

Attachments

• IMG_20230613_121623_5.jpg
    IMG_20230613_121623_5.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Well, I gave my lathes away, one was too massive and the other, well, I regret it...but my brother in law got it, and that's a plus. Meantime...well, I have a leather belt lineshaft driven camelback gearhead drill press that I like very much. Worn out, but still useful. Tallernme. Yes, I gotta oil the babbit every time. For running the HF notcher it phucking perfict 'cause it's nice and slow. I drove the "lineshaft" with a 3 speed motor from a big swamp cooler, which gives even more choice than the pulley set alone.

Maybe find an auctioneer that will put that stuff in one of his estate auctions? Often they'll do that.
Yea Gary my sis does estate sales PT so that’s what we’ll do once everything gets settled. I kinda meant that rhetorically about doing something with those fittings. Those are from he and his BIL volunteering at the local VFW’s where they worked on kitchen equipment. That was 20 yrs ago…

Yeah someone will have the same conundrum with my crap one day, and that's not forever away anymore. I've made serious runs, loads to the local habitat for humanity restore. They were thrilled.

Not really a lathe or milling machine, but still a very handy tool when machining and fabricating. A "Grattec" brand deburring tool, 4 tools in one, sort of a machinist's Swiss Army knife. It has a small countersink bit on a cranked arm, very handy for light deburring of drilled holes up to 3/8" or 9.5 mm. Then two different curved deburring blades (like a NOGA brand tool), and a tiny triangular blade/ scrapers for any hard to reach spot. My machinist son gave me this for Christmas years ago, and I use it often.
Now I have to have one. Lol. The search begins.

The heavy steel discs that bolt to steam flanges - of course these come in various sizes - anyway they're easy to drill and fiddle to make specialty pullers and press fixtures. A small one turned into a flywheel puller for OMC outboard, and another to pull clutch basket on 1340 evo...and so forth. Source, well, it's nice to have a pal that's a pipefitter...

Finally got the beast in the trailer using an engine hoist, dolly’s and a chain hoist.70871233742__756B2D71-B4B2-40CC-BC0F-145CA11A679B.jpeg This of course was accomplished with added issues. Thursday night a storm rolled through that demolished hundreds of trees downing power lines. Add that, 95* heat and very high humidity so by the time we were done it looked and felt like I went swimming in my clothes. It’s been a brutal few days with no clue when they will get to the outlying areas. I have most everything loaded now but a stray pup showed up my first night there scared, hungry and needing help. So yea, I fed him. He has been my companion for the last two weeks so I’m waiting for the animal shelter to open Tues so I can drop him off. 70855890659__37DD0281-1C7B-4507-90F7-077E3084161D.jpeg

Looking for opinions, have opportunity to buy old Bridgeport mill, for which I wouldn't have to repower or get a phase generator for $3k or a newish MSC/Rong Fu mill that's single phase for $1500.
Needless to say I would prefer the B'port but it will require work and extra expense, take up more room in my already crowded garage, I can mount the MSC on my bench and it's usable as is

Looking for opinions, have opportunity to buy old Bridgeport mill, for which I wouldn't have to repower or get a phase generator for $3k or a newish MSC/Rong Fu mill that's single phase for $1500.
Needless to say I would prefer the B'port but it will require work and extra expense, take up more room in my already crowded garage, I can mount the MSC on my bench and it's usable as is
Key word is usable. I would love to have a mill but I do not have the space or need for one except on rare occasions.

Back