It's time to start a winter Project. The Red Bike

I am seeing progress. My speedo mount is roughed out and seems to fit. Digital tach and voltmeter. I may do another someday with the speedo closer to center and the digital displays stacked. The taillight bracket came out compact. The license plate carrier needs drilling View attachment 246081View attachment 246082View attachment 246083and corners finished.View attachment 246080
Ì am not sure why I mounted the tach instead of speedo. I'll have to mull over that whilst sipping a whiskey.
1687901814825.jpeg

Last edited:
Race bikes don't use a speedo??
I rarely go beyond 5000 or 5500 rpm on my 750 cc XS. The tach is more fore idle speed setting, charging system checks and speedo calibration. Now where is that gear vs rpm vs road speed chart. I may actually add a digital tach to my tracker because the after market speedo vs phone GPS always seemed wonky.

Found a nice 81 Special 2. PO did some nice things with a very original 17k miles bike. I will have to resolve an oil puddle, jetting, frontbrake after doing a few basic tasks. Valves, time chain and timing once the carb (brand new VMs) are jetted well enough to run with out the enricher.View attachment 221555
Hope I can do it in less than a year. :)

Do I use a sealant on holes drilled in new paint?
Debur the edges and put a little primer on the edges. I just use a q-tip dipped in primer.
IMPORTANT: there's lots of vibration back there for some reason.... :rolleyes: .... if you don't debur those holes, I can promise you a crack starts at (at least) one of 'em.

If you want my opinion.... the retro-ish white pinstripes are jus' begging for some fork gaiters to compliment the old style look. :geek:
After you put the front fender on, I think you'll see what I mean.

Debur the edges and put a little primer on the edges. I just use a q-tip dipped in primer.
IMPORTANT: there's lots of vibration back there for some reason.... :rolleyes: .... if you don't debur those holes, I can promise you a crack starts at (at least) one of 'em.
Debur... ? With this? Top and bottom (outer and inner) I presume. I hope that my mounts are so close to the fender frame mount that I avoid some silly resonance problems.
16880093803348237694940373427152.jpg

Last edited:
That’s a nice minimalist tail light. 😉
I have not put 12v to it yet. Advertised as 28 LED ATV/Dirtbike "Stop/Taillight. I searched for a "Lucas style" taillight but none filled the short front to back dimension needed to "show off" the stripe of the @Jim paint job. My hope is the brake light is plenty bright. Let me say here that this paint job captures my idea of a "Classic 60s/70s vertical twin". My mindset is Norton, AJS,Ariel etc. I briefly considered no Yamaha emblem on the tank but I think the chrome "Yamaha" adds to the overall effect.

You might also consider some rubber sheeting between the brackets and fender, and then use nylock nuts on the bolts so you can make them tight enough but not too tight.

Debur... ? With this? Top and bottom (outer and inner) I presume. I hope that my mounts are so close to the fender frame mount that I avoid some silly resonance problems.View attachment 246140
Yes, that's a deburring bit. Cracks seek out sharp edges. The smoother you make the holes, the less chance of a crack finding a sharp edge to latch onto.

Debur... ? With this? Top and bottom (outer and inner) I presume. I hope that my mounts are so close to the fender frame mount that I avoid some silly resonance problems.View attachment 246140
Using that countersink tool might leave you with a beveled blade edge; not good.
Best to use a cheap deburring tool like the one below.
de burr tool.PNG

Takes away the swarf to leave a soft square edge which will take paint/primer better.

You might also consider some rubber sheeting between the brackets and fender, and then use nylock nuts on the bolts so you can make them tight enough but not too tight.
I am doing neoprene washers between the mounted (painted) parts and the fender washers on the backside with nylock nuts. Thanks for re enforcing my thinking. I want no possibility of contact, metal to painted that could spiderweb to a paint failure.

Back