Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

I've heard quite a few of those bad boys in many airplanes(P-51, Avro Lancaster, Mosquito, Spitfiresand Hurricanes) , at various power settings and loads. Pure music.

Last edited:
The sound of a Spitfire or Hurricane passing overhead at low altitude - probably anything with a Merlin - makes the hair on the back of my neck tingle. Am I normal?

Went to a vintage car show at Mellerstain House in 1977. I didn't know a Spitfire display had been booked so as I was parking the bike (Yamaha DT400) it was a complete surprise when a Spitfire mark V suddenly roared low over the roof of the house. Will never forget the tingle that day.

The first model plane I built was a Mustang using balsa over polystyrene construction for the wings. This was one of those you fly in circles on control wires. The first time I flew it I got dizzy and it crashed into the ground. It never flew again...:shootme:

Last edited:
Unite Airlines just placed an order with Boom Supersonic for 15 SST's with an option for 35 more. Mach 1.7 and using sustainable green fuel.
They've also recently ordered 200 all electric commuter aircraft. Becoming carbon neutral by 2050 is the goal. Looks like United is putting their money where their mouth is.
To quote Bob D.... The times they are a changin'.

106891703-1622722519710united2-jpg.jpg

How the **** is an electric airplane going to work? I can't believe the battery technology is even close to giving them any realistic range and/or load.
Baby steps. It's currently very short range, but it works for a 100-150 mile commuter.... and there's tons of them routes out there.

How the **** is an electric airplane going to work? I can't believe the battery technology is even close to giving them any realistic range and/or load.

Hi DE,
not yet but not too long of a wait, either. There are some electrically powered aircraft already flying although they're still flying catch-up

Baby steps. It's currently very short range, but it works for a 100-150 mile commuter.... and there's tons of them routes out there.

Hi Jim,
recent documentary on electric aircraft showed one with enough solar charging panels & batteries to stay up all night so it could fly forever or at least until the pilot ran out of groceries.
Mind you, that aircraft was by no means a practical commuter.

Been over 5 yrs now Fred, that Solar Impulse went 'round the world on nothing but solar power. One leg (Japan to Hawaii) had it in the air for 118hrs non-stop. That was 5 nights of using the solar energy stored in it's batteries..... 'till the sun got high enough to start recharging again.

AP_904584438753.jpg

Saw the news about the new super-sonic plane that flies at 60,000 feet. My first question is how many woul like to take the first commercial flight on a plane with "BOOM" painted on the side?
That DOES seem like something of an advertising faux pas
Come, that's no big deal at all. After all, we go to a "Terminal" just to get on a plane...

Saw the news about the new super-sonic plane that flies at 60,000 feet. My first question is how many woul like to take the first commercial flight on a plane with "BOOM" painted on the side?

Hi Ken,
most air travelers ain't bothered by the flight time. It's the multi-hour security hassle before getting on the 'plane that gets to folks.

Hi Ken,
most air travelers ain't bothered by the flight time. It's the multi-hour security hassle before getting on the 'plane that gets to folks.
You wouldn’t say that if your legs require a 36 inch inseam. Flying commercial is nothing but pure torture. If I could drive intercontinental, I would!

Back