just out of the shop, clutch worn!

otis

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
hay there ladies and gents, just got out of the shop with my 80 xs 650!! the clutch is a bit worn, and i´m wondering if you might have some advise on how i can adjust it to get a few more miles out of it till i can get some new plates down here to guatemala.. took it out yeaterday and had a blast! bought it in 91.

There's a factory shop manual on-line here. It will explain how to adjust everything on the bike. Read, learn, then come back with any questions .....

http://www.biker.net/

Exactly what do you mean by worn? I ask because the original clutch plates rarely wear out. The springs get weak and need replacing usually. To find out for sure, you need to take the clutch apart and measure the thickness of the plates. Did your shop do that or are they just telling you to get new plates?

My clutch was slipping at high rpms. I took it apart installed some new springs and was good to go

thanks a heep, Bradshaw. i´m trying 5twins suggestion as i already downloaded the manual and adjusted the little screw. if that doesn´t work i will try replacing the screws. thanks again.. i am looking for a timing kit for this unit though if you know of anything..

Back