Kick Start/Clutch Cover Issue

Paul II

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I had a stuck clutch so I fixed it and got a new gasket and everything. My problem now, is that the kick starter sticks when used. It ONLY does this when I have the cover on, so I'm thinking its stuck on something preventing it from going back up. I'm at a loss as to what to do though. Anyone have any advice?

It looks like the return spring has come unhooked. You'll need to remove the cover again and go through the kick start shaft install procedure (it's in the shop manual).

so it looks like that one big tach gear is wobbly. I believe its that bolt that goes through that is bent. Is it something special I have to order and, if so, anyone know what its called? I don't have a gear puller the right size, so I'll be making one here tomorrow for it, so I will know a little more here soon.

I believe you're looking at the oil pump.
1648582605434.png

..... but I don't see how that would effect the kicker. The kicker is at the rear of the case, that gear wheel towards the front. They're not directly connected.

When you pulled the cover off if you aren’t careful you can pull that kicker shaft out of its seat. That or something isn’t quite aligned and putting the shaft in a bind in the oil seal.

I found one on ebay, but its like 50 bucks at the cheapest. I have to piece, but its a little bent. Is it worth it to try bending it back into place, or should I just bite the bullet and but a new piece?
I’m just curious how that could have gotten bent and not being a SA I’d really like to know?

Look up XS Johns modifications. He detailed how to improve the oil pump ad it has nice photos of the pump assembly.
So far as your kick starter have you got tension on the spring. Do a search on the kick start install.

Back