Kick Start Only Headache !!!!!

I just found the little ball and spring on some parts diagrams. Yamaha is quite proud of that little spring, lol. Retail on it is a little over $9 !!!

Carbs off it's not bad might be a bit tricky and involve some hands and knees time with them on the bike. The left carb gets the ball and spring. There are three small detents in a row on the choke rod. anyway put the spring in the hole and then the ball, a little grease on the ball may help hold it, it will sit just sticking into the bore for the choke rod. insert the choke rod, a little grease helps, with a light twist if necessary, keep track of which way the detents face. get the choke lifters on the rod as you insert it or try again.

Those damn little detent balls. :D I almost lost one and then found it 5 hours later in a pit in the concrete floor of my garage. Got lucky I guess.

I agree it's probably only needed in the left carb but the XS400 carbs I just tore down had them in both and the parts diagram does call for 2 of each .....

ChokeBall-Spring.jpg

Yup I have seen them in both carbs, but the detents on the rod only use the left one.

put a single harley carb on it. mine starts firts kick hot or clod. it can sit for a week and still first kick. and you dont have any carbs to sink or have to worry about runnin one lean and burni a hole in a piston..

Back