living in a small hick town!!!!!!

oldbiker

oldbiker
Reaction score
hi guys,,,i,m sure a few guys maybe divorced and also mature 50-60,,,i moved to a small town in the wimmera victoria where the only violence is when i swear at my dog for crapping right near my side door at my garage,,, in my town of 900 ,,its a mature age town where you get walking frames and electric scooters,,alot of older people keep thinking i,m going out to kill myself when i ride my bikes,,, which is not the case,,, it made my blood boil during the week when it made the local tv ... that a biker was killed after loosing control.. the full story was,, he was a 40 year old ,, unlicensed on a unregistered bike,, passed a car on bouble white lines failed to stop at a T intersection and hit the side fuel tank of a truck,, the force of impact destroyed the bike ,split the motor the police were holding the cyclinder head up for the news camera..,,, and toooooo top it all off when i do want something for my babies ,, i find it easier to buy online rather than waste time...... thats my rant for today take care when riding guys regards oldbiker

You live in a big town. In the town proper maybe 100. The little place I live in don't have it's own post office or phone exchange. I live in Lebanon, get my mail in Earlville and have a Georgetown phone.
They don't gripe about bikes, Theres mine and maybe a half dozen more. Mostly farmers around me.

I can't imagine that in the same state as NYC. I can't imagine farmers without a southern drawl either. Heyyyy Vito, ba bing ba bang!, how's da cropses doin' dis yeeah?

Hey oldbiker, old guy here, at least You arent in a College Town. Idiots texting and talking on their cell phones. EVERY time i ride My bike some IDIOT tries to kill me. I take that Personal. End of rant.

This time of year all the roads round here are covered in mud from tractors ..In fact theres more tractors as bikes!
..Still prefer this to ANY town though, where the maniac youngsters tear-arse around in souped-up hatchbacks, not to mention all the asian taxi drivers:doh:

NYC is 240 miles south east of me. The school I graduated from had 73 kids. The next school north had 12 kids graduate that year. Lots more now with all the city folk moving up.
Around me the thing to watch for is the Amish in the horse and buggies.
Yes, the mud can get deep in spots.

My family was in Ulster Co. in 1710. In those days to have a good life all you had to do was simply work hard. Now days it's like you make a succession of gambles. Forced into urban strategies no matter where you are.

Uh guys, that ain't all mud..........
We have horses, our 5 and neighbors 2. 30 pounds of uh, leftovers a day per horse. That works out to 38 tons a year! Garden grows real well though. We live high on the Baraboo bluffs small town 2 miles metro 40 miles. Gotta watch spilled corn in the corners in the fall.
fire wood is in split and stacked, the stove is hot, let it snow, cause the skis are waxed.

I grew up in a small hick town in Ohio, we only had one street light, if you blinked when you went through town, you missed it. I started riding 54 years ago, I was that dumb ass kid that all the neighbors hated because of the noise I made. I miss the hick town, I think I loved the town people more than they loved me.

I live in Austin its full of stoned out hippies and college students. Iget on the interstate sing into the fast and people are 45 trying textd, talk on their phone, roll a joint, pack a pipe, or are just so stoned they dont care. It's scary as HELL

Gotta love small towns.
You never get stranded with a broke down car, everyone knows it isn't parked in the right spot and will stop to see why.
You don't worry about getting hit jaywalking cause the car coming is going to slow down for a greeting if they don't completely stop to chat.
You don't need a complete address for the mail to reach it's destination. The mailperson knows where it goes.
The school bus driver knows your child will be picked up at another address next week and it's OK.
Forgetting your wallet doesn't become an international event when you go to pay at the combo grocery/ gas/ restaurant/ coffee shop. They will catch it tomorrow.
The whole town could be the fire dept. they're going to show up to help if there is one.

Hi Guys,

Towns. They have their uses, but I prefer the former logging camp where I live. We have a volunteer fire dept. down the hill in the blazing metropolis of Conway--two streets, a tavern and two antique stores. That's three or four miles away. There used to be a grocery store but it closed.

Up until a few years ago, our fire protection was a huge elevated tank that the English Logging Co. once used to top off their narrow-gauge railroad engines to log up near Lake Cavanaugh, but it's gone now. A couple of McMansions going up--people discovering life in the "country" and moving to the hills around here.

It sucks. The first thing they did was to get the county to ban gas engines on the local lake, since it disturbed their citified senses when natives would go out fishing early in the morning.......I don't have much use for some city people.

Generally, however, it's nice. My wood for the winter is in, and I've had to use the 4x4 to get to the main road only a couple of times so far. The little back roads are wonderful peg-scraping fun, and I see all my neighbors a couple of times a year when our water association meets---we have a community spring with gavity-feed up on a hill behind the former logging camp. Now and then we take a collection to repair the pipe or have a "clean out the tank" party. Next door are the hot-rod builders with the horses, and across the street are cows. I used to have goats and chickens, but have given up on that--too much of my time.

You can tell when it is the weekend because of the John Deere's and the chainsaws....both nice sounds. And each morning in the winter, I look out of my kitchen window and can just make out the little whiffs of smoke coming from my neighbor's chimney, and I know she has sent her kids off to school and is relaxing over coffee, like I did when my kids were young.

No leash law.

No rules against shooting guns if you are so inclined and have a good target.

No worries about rolling a newly rebuilt bike out at 10:00 at night and firing it up---the nearest houses are far enough away.

I guess that's why I've been here 34 years. Only house I've ever owned, and it started life as a logger's home in 1930, with the vermiculite insulation to prove it.......

i do have too admit that a small town has its good points a couple of months ago nobody saw me for about a week or so so 1 nice older couple i regularly chat too came banging on my front door,so i opened it said thanks and went back to eating ,,, as it was dinner time,,,and 1 old lady regularly asks me if that was me reving my bikes on sunday or something similar,,, of course my general reply is no but i,ll come and do donuts on your front lawn and that way you will know what my bikes do sound like,,, but its all in fun regards oldbiker

well guys it finally happened ,,,i was minding my own business ,, when all of a sudden ,, this local salvo lady that also get local pics and small stories for the town rag which is about 6 pages ,, dragged me over and said look like your buying a home made tee shirt NEAR the xmas tree ,,,yeh yeh .i know i should have run .. then 2 days later i walk in to a shop and they start ,, how come you don,t shave,,, ,, anyway it was all in fun...i did reply that i was dissapointed that the woman in my photo shot wasn,t wearing any make up ... ah! its all fun regards oldbiker

hi guys,,,i,m sure a few guys maybe divorced and also mature 50-60,,,i moved to a small town in the wimmera victoria where the only violence is when i swear at my dog for crapping right near my side door at my garage,,, in my town of 900 ,,its a mature age town where you get walking frames and electric scooters,,alot of older people keep thinking i,m going out to kill myself when i ride my bikes,,, which is not the case,,, it made my blood boil during the week when it made the local tv ... that a biker was killed after loosing control.. the full story was,, he was a 40 year old ,, unlicensed on a unregistered bike,, passed a car on bouble white lines failed to stop at a T intersection and hit the side fuel tank of a truck,, the force of impact destroyed the bike ,split the motor the police were holding the cyclinder head up for the news camera..,,, and toooooo top it all off when i do want something for my babies ,, i find it easier to buy online rather than waste time...... thats my rant for today take care when riding guys regards oldbiker
I grew up in a small town but as an adult I live in a large city in Southern Ontario Canada. The only riding I do now is north of the cities in mennonite country where there is not much traffic but lots of smooth winding secondary roads. I hate traffic and those crazy city drivers.

I live in a "village". Houses all around, but nearest commercial enterprise is an inconvenience store about 3 miles away. Nearest McDonalds is 20+ miles, as is the nearest traffic light.

If you ask for help, they'll give you the shirt off their back. Otherwise, Mainers, especially Downeast Mainers, have a strong tradition of minding their own business as long as you mind yours. That works for me.

Back