Mailmans XS2 , the rebuild.......again

Yeah, we saw that last night. Paint's kinda rough on that bike, but it does let you see what an XS2 looks like in single color candy red. I like it. :smoke:
Of course, I'm a little biased... :rolleyes:

View attachment 184241
Jim what do you have for a windshield I like the looks of it
And is the support arm for it really that close to the tank?

Hey, I just noticed, that's my XS2. Someones been in my garage.

Did you notice i stole and repainted it...........Didn't realize it was yours. I saved it as a good example of an XS2 for the ID thread. I'll imprint your handle into it cra-z1

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114665785069
Bet I know how this will end up.

Bet he added a few extra $ into the reserve price for all the time and work, he done, listing the things done to the bike...........really impressed he replaced one piston pin clip and used 1 full set and a another top and bottom set of gaskets..........cant wait to buy it..........oh and the tools he bought

Last edited:
Yes, Jims Special is a real looker!
Partly contributing to the appeal is the "match" in tank badges to the side cover badges. The block "650" numbers pull that off.
One thing that has not worked for me visually about the early XS's is that Yamaha did not well match tank badges with side panel decor. I do like the white stripe but, If I were to sway away from purist original, I'd be trying to come up with Chrome trim which would better match the side covers
:cool: :twocents:
Yes, I agree. While I not one to go throw different colors of paint on the bits, I think I'm going to do it like this:
TRIUMPH-DAYTONA-T100R-14359_1.jpg

Color on the tank and black side covers wearing gold Sp II decals.

I think Bob's new scheme will look great!

The motor, getting started........

I didn’t need to order a lot of parts ( so far) this time around. I already had a full gasket set on hand. I ordered a new set of cam seals, a cam chain rivet link, a tube of Hylomar and I think that’s about it. I have already ,
Rebuilt the carburetors and the petcocks, I cleaned all the melted old tank liner off of my valves.....
EADAEEFB-C283-4785-A9FF-95156D80FB3D.jpeg 60443E77-2C7E-4A2C-9D0C-F372795B9EC3.jpeg A8350C15-5C0C-4028-90F1-397975FC6325.jpeg

And my head, ports cleaned, valves lapped, everything cleaned up , assembled and ready
9BDEABEB-F524-4ECB-9F53-6AD685800591.jpeg 67360AC8-5ECB-417A-B112-A3B19891BCFF.jpeg 03E1344E-5AB6-4096-9C25-C9419DF4A6DE.jpeg

Same for the pistons, scraped clean, rings removed and de gunked.
B5A024AC-9298-4B08-AA96-22DA955E7DEA.jpeg

The jugs, you could still see cross hatching, but there was a hard ring of melted tank liner ( MTL ) at the top of the bore and the cylinder walls were caramel colored and I suspect the cross hatching was filled with MTL, so I gave them a light honing with a flex hone.
090B3C04-C40C-42FA-9ED2-977EC2B8CCE3.jpeg
267D3377-1531-4870-ADBA-1F27ACB2C13C.jpeg
A3C7D701-3462-46D3-9304-AAA892B70F77.jpeg

Also today I ground the old rivet link from the cam chain to get ready for the new, and went through all my parts to organize and get ready for assembly. Unlike last time when I was so compulsively organized, this time I had parts piled in tubs on the floor, under my bench, in the cabinets....everywhere. :shrug:

Sometimes I feel like my primary purpose in life is being an example of what not to do, so that others might avoid my mistakes, so with that said, today’s lesson.
585456D5-0D05-44D3-A9A0-61A614FFC374.jpeg

Looking at my motor on my workbench day I noticed something that I had failed to see until now. My rotor which had been charging just fine, was ruined....chewed up. What the hell could’ve caused that!
B1CD1494-3E35-4F65-A9FD-91C8511F9F72.jpeg

I went to look at my stator and realized that at some point when I had my brushes out, I mixed up the screws and a long screw was pressing into one of the copper rings, thus ruining my rotor.
20A9BA02-7783-463A-9CBA-43ABBCCE3B12.jpeg
It never even occurred to me, that this might happen. Yet another expensive lesson I learned. Jim is going to hook me up with a rewound. I’m beginning to think maybe I should just push my bike over to Jim’s house! :laugh2:

To be continued........

Geez cant get a break..............Look mate i would hate to see you get a hernia pushing the bike to Kansas............I'll get a truck sent around to pick it up for you........Fix that motor first, and hurry up, winter riding season is nearly on over here.........

I think I'm going to do it like this:
TRIUMPH-DAYTONA-T100R-14359_1.jpg

Marty, I quite agree with you on that look. This is a bike I’ve been in love with ever since I first saw it, it’s a 2020 Triumph T-100 in Cranberry red. I like the way the tank is offset with black sidecovers and black fenders.
They did a great job of capturing the look of that little Daytona 500 you pictured
A1AE3ED9-9BA9-4713-91A8-998115509EC6.jpeg

Sometimes I feel like my primary purpose in life is being an example of what not to do, so that others might avoid my mistakes, so with that said, today’s lesson.

Aw, Bob, don't be so hard on yourself. You've had a few problems, not at all deserved, and the biggest of them was definitely not your fault. Impressed that you are on it so quick, getting it all sorted again. Respect!

Aw, Bob, don't be so hard on yourself. You've had a few problems, not at all deserved, and the biggest of them was definitely not your fault. Impressed that you are on it so quick, getting it all sorted again. Respect!

Thanks Raymond!

When people ask for directions to my garage, I tell them “ Just follow the trail of tears! “
View attachment 184315
Well Bob while your learning so am I
I hate to see you in this situation but hopefully I'll remember what to do and not to do
I have to bookmark this thread
Hang in there and we'll be watching and learning

Back