Missing Bearing

kuthe64

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys I was doing some spring cleaning and when I took this cover off the ball bearing fell out im assuming I know where it goes (picture) but my question is, is it going to just fall out again and is there anything to do to make sure that it doesnt happen again. Thanks

81 special

Attachments

• xs650 clutch.jpg
    xs650 clutch.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 168
If you look close you will see stake marks(dimples) in the original.
Just enough holds the ball, too much and the end of the push rod won't slide in.
If you put a little grease in the hole it will be sticky enough it won't fall out easily.

Yes, That's the place it goes. When new the edges of the hole was staked in several places to hold the ball in. After a few years of use the push rod wears the stakes away. This lets the ball fall out. If you clean around the hole you might see the stakes.
It will fall out again. The best way to keep it in is to use a dab of grease on the ball and in the hole it goes in.
While you have the cover off I might suggest removing the inner part of the worm mechanism from the outer and clean them well, inspect the plastic hal of the worm for damage, they do crack betwen the threads. Relube well with your favorite grease.
The worm and cable need to be properly lubed often for easiest lever pull.
Leo

I know these are metric bikes but that ball is speced as 5/16". If you ever do lose it, you can probably just get one at a good hardware store.

Back