more power with no bore?

i mean no bore no turbo...apparently the spark plugs wont do much...i dont have the skill to tune anything other than a carb :(

OK, follow this link: http://www.xs650.com/forum/

Everything listed under topics in the Garage are great threads that will help you to get your XS in tip top shape. Spend a night or two reading and try to figure out how to make your setup work to it's best. A lot of it can seem too advanced but, start there and ask questions on the way. There is no good "one" answer to make your XS a rocket. There is just too much more to it. If you can tune a carb like you say, then you CAN handle doing some simple engine tuning. Just educate yourself. If you don't own a manual on your model year yet, buy one, and read it! You'd be surprised what you'll learn and what you are capable of.

thats what im talking about :) and since the xs only has 50 bhp that 5 or 6 will be noticable

I mildly modify pretty much all my bikes. I have for the past 30 some years. They run better and stronger afterward. Mods usually consist of air filter(s), exhaust, and carb jetting to match. With my 650, I took things a step further and mildly ported my head.

After several years of fiddling, I've got the old girl tuned pretty well. I started out with K&N pods but found they weren't the best choice for these CV carbs. I now run UNI pods which work much better (cheaper, too). I'm on my 2nd set of mufflers, Mike's Commandos, and feel they work very well. My 1st set, Dunstall replicas, basically sucked.

As far as gearing goes, for best all around performance I found 17/33 to be ideal with an 18" rear wheel, 17/32 with a 16.

Ive just done the basics, cam chain adjustment, valves, pods, PAMCO, iridum plugs, slight re-gearing, and i run a mix of premium and AV gas, and re jetted and tuned my carbs... Maybe gained me a couple HP but made a world of difference in rideability. Thats about all i can suggest on a budget. Good luck man

I do believe the iridium plugs give you a better burn of fuel. May not give you much but it is something which won't cost an arm and leg. I also run a Pamco and HP colis. Last check a get 60 Mpg.

rickieh interesting that you have had a fair amount of advice on what to change yet no one has asked; What do you have? What have you done already?
Tell us more about your bike and what you do with it?
I do have to go along with those that stress basic tuning. timing, cam chain tension, set valves, check compression, carbs overhauled. Beyond that we need to know more, a picture helps us know where your bike is at now.

Plus a bunch on lowliferat, are you carrying 20lb (or more) gut weight?
Sorry but I tend to snigger when I see fat boy doing racer mods on the bike when push aways are the basic go fast hot tip.

its a 76 stocker,all ive done is put fuel filters on my fuel hose and shes used for normal transportation to and from school and work

rickieh
I do have to go along with those that stress basic tuning. timing, cam chain tension, set valves, check compression, carbs overhauled. Beyond that we need to know more, a picture helps us know where your bike is at now.

In my humble opinion, I can't agree with Gary enough. I assume that your bike is running at least somewhat well in terms of functionality, but those of us who are on a learning curve *coughs* really need to concentrate first on reliability as opposed to enhanced output. When I first got my bike, it was a non-runner, and I spent a good bit of time chasing what was actually an ignition problem (weak coils) through the carbs. The very best things you can do for your bike's performance (in addition to the above quote) are to optimize the charging system, ignition system (if you have OEM coils, you need to get higher output aftermarket ones), get your carbs synched, and eliminate any air leaks. I learned the hard way that you have to cover all these basics to obtain consistent baseline performance (predictability) before you can go chasing after more power or torque, especially if your bike is expected to provide daily/regular service. I'm not wanting to discourage you from tweaking your bike, but if your bike is running even close to optimally, you may be surprised at how capable a basically unmolested XS/TX can be. Get there first if you're not there already.

TC

Last edited:
Way back in the days before the Internet and Forums, we got most of our info from bike magazines. If you were lucky enough, you might luck out and find an article on hopping up a particular model of bike you owned. They usually backed up the hop up suggestions with real dyno numbers or 1/4 mile times.

Never did see an article on xs650's however, probably because they were never meant to be a rocket. They were originally meant to be strong competition for the Brit bikes of that era and the xs650 in stock form already surpassed most of them in horsepower.

What I would have liked to see was what you can now read in Hot Rod magazine for the car guys. A "cook off" with different combinations of intake, exhaust systems, jetting, and timing curves. And the prices of each.

There is only so much $ a typical (non-racer) owner will spend per horsepower. I wouldn't spend $100 for 2 horsepower, but I might spend $200 for 5 horsepower which you could feel in the seat of your pants while driving.

I feel the most important upgrade for the XS is in the ignition department. All the jetting in the world isn't going to help if you have a weak spark. With my 77 with stock ignition, I notice a strong difference by just changing to fresh spark plugs. I plan on soon installing a Pamco to fix that.

Anyways, just my two cents.

resto

Yup Basic maintenance is your friend here. All the info is on here and we stand ready to help with any questions you may have. Get that list done, so it's a smooth running, first, second kick bike every time, THEN think about changes. A buddy came by to pick up a 79 special II yesterday. I had done the basics LAST spring, carb overhaul, ignition check, cam chain, valves TORQUE HEAD STUDS! charging system working correctly, hasn't been touched since. Before I started it I smelled the oil, ugh gas smell, dumped the oil, put in new, fresh drain bolt gaskets, drained the float bowls and ran some more gas through them from the tank. Put in the charged battery, third kick it fired off. Warmed it a bit and she ran great around the block. All stock no hesitations, no weak spots, just smooth clean power to red line in every gear. (well I didn't finish it out in fifth.) he hopped on drove it 50 miles home with zero issues and it's in pieces on his garage floor as a bobber project today. :shrug: But he knows he has a base line, a good running engine when the bobbing is done. And I have some great new paint jobs!

hi,,, if you are brave ,,,and you pull the motor apart ,,,check your bores,,,, if good,,, you could just rephase the crank ,,,, and then re-assemble it ,,,drop a pamco rephase ignition in ,,fiddle with the carbys and off you go ,,,i do know a aussie guy that did his own rephase by moving the crank 3 splines ,,,butttttttt, he also did his own electronic ignition straight off the crank,,,,,,, ,, it did pull well and nobody ,,, listening toooooo it when idling could pick the difference ... could be worth thinking about regards oldbiker

A change of cam, carbs, exhaust, porting, ignition, lighter flywheels, different gearing and more will increase horsepower and/or performance without boring but don't expect any huge increase in power with any single change including boring. Big horses are required to run as a team.

Cheap pun intended.

Fact is: In over 30 years of "improving" motorcycles, I've found that most "improvements" lead to disappointments.

Back