Motor vehicle Insurance

650Skull

Cockytoo
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I raised a question based on vehicle insurance and if an insurance company will void the policy if modifications are done to the vehicle, bike or car..........

Question is. what does your countries insurance policy's,small print include exclusions based on modifications to vehicles and to what extent ???

Who reads all the small print and do you know all eventualities???

I know Insurance companies, here in Aus, will void their policy if the find chips have been altered to boost HP on modern cars here in Aus.
Any modification to the frame has to be engineered and a plate added to the frame. Again insurance company notified
Any increase in CC rating, the insurance company is supposed to be notified

Last edited:
forgive me for this
what is this "insurance" you speak of?

Most people I know who ride motorcycles
have no blinkers, inspection or insurance
and this is in the US of A!

BS. Blinkers and inspection requirements vary state-to-state. If someone else gets hurt as a result of your vehicular negligence and you don't have insurance, you're f**ked.

BS. Blinkers and inspection requirements vary state-to-state. If someone else gets hurt as a result of your vehicular negligence and you don't have insurance, you're f**ked.
In Georgia, the insurance company must report to the DMV when your coverage lapses. At that time, local law enforcement may collect your tag, as your registration has expired at that time. Here in Mississippi, I have to carry the piece of paper that proves I'm insured to the expiration date on the card.

In Georgia, the insurance company must report to the DMV when your coverage lapses
Correct. Come to think of it, I can't get a license plate without proof of insurance. I suppose I could let the policy lapse but I've never been pulled over when I haven't been asked for my license, registration and proof of insurance. Being unable to comply will put you in deep doo-doo. Imagine, right here in this country.

Last edited:
Being unable to comply will put you in deep doo-doo. Imagine, right here is this country.
Yep! There’s no Constitutional Right to drive on public highways. I never got asked for insurance proof in Georgia. Not since their data base. They know your insurance status when they run your tag.

Question is. what does your countries insurance policy's,small print include exclusions based on modifications to vehicles and to what extent ???
Oops, we digress. Small print particulars tend to vary with the individual insurance company and allowable modifications vary state to state. Rules and regulations just seem to be all over the place. Some states don't inspect vehicles. The ones that do might inspect for safety related things - lights, brakes, horn, wipers or even vehicle emissions - and some states go way beyond that. Maybe somebody from California or Pennsylvania will chime in. A savvy gear head can always make his vehicle legal for the inspection and then stick the chip, for instance, back in when they get home. Nobody is checking engine displacement and insurance companies don't seem to care. In states without inspections you can actually drive/ride a pretty sloppy vehicle, except for not having working lights, because the police have better things to do than to bust you for minor infractions . However, if you want to show your ass and attract attention, it's on you.

Digression is part of the progression.

Public liability insurance is included in our registration. (takes up about half of the yearly registration amount, Ute is 700 per year and the insurance component is around 350),. When i say liability it is for any claims against personal injury in an accident/crash. 3rd party or comprehensive insurance is available. 3rd party covers damage to the other vehicle, comprehensive covers both the other vehicle and your own car.

We are required to carry liability insurance at a minimum. Comprehensive is more. If you have a loan on the vehicle, the bank usually requires comprehensive and states minimum deductibles etc. I haven't ever had any problems getting insurance to pay (either way). They may pay as little as possible etc. We have a 2006 Nissan maxima on liability with an 18 y.o. driver, a 2010 F150 Supercrew, and a 2018 Jeep grand Cherokee on comprehensive. In Kansas that costs us almost $2500 a year.

Insurance is whacked in Ontario. Some companies arbitrarily deem your bike uninsurable once it hits 30 years old. Price is through the roof if your a single guy. Some companies won't even let you change shocks or a muffler.

Insurance companies are like underwear, you have to change them regularly. Every year the price creeps upward, despite no tickets or claims.

Last edited:
In California - insured by AAA - every time I insure a bike, they ask if it’s modified.

they ask you to list the modifications for value purposes, so it’s insured for more than what a baseline value of your bike is.

I’ve never claimed any modifications, and I’ve also never had to file a claim so I’m not quite sure how it would change things if I did.

insurance is about $12 a month for full coverage. Gotta be stupid not to have it. (They will revoke your registration here if you don’t have it)

Progressive will insure anything you can ride. but if it's not based on a stock bike they offer liability only.
https://www.progressive.com/motorcycle/customized-motorcycle-insurance/
When insuring they ask only about turbo chargers or trike conversions. Just insured a K1200LT, :rolleyes: cost; $47.00 a year. (liability only)
20210723_120303.jpg
cuz there is no such thang as a "TOO BIG" motorcycle. :laughing:

Progressive will insure anything you can ride. but if it's not based on a stock bike they offer liability only.
https://www.progressive.com/motorcycle/customized-motorcycle-insurance/
When insuring they ask only about turbo chargers or trike conversions. Just insured a K1200LT, :rolleyes: cost; $47.00 a year. (liability only)
View attachment 195317
cuz there is no such thang as a "TOO BIG" motorcycle. :laughing:
You have definitely fell off your diet. Plus no leg room to stretch out? :poke:

Progressive will insure anything you can ride
"Progressive" is how your rates will increase if you ever file a claim or claims. I've had them insure my cars some years back and the experience left a bad taste in my mouth. I hate their commercials and detest that frumpy broad in the baker's smock. My motorcycles are insured with the lizard and those folks seem to be reasonable.

insurance is about $12 a month for full coverage. Gotta be stupid not to have it
Nothing wrong with that rate.

Saskachewan's government has a monopoly on Vehicle primary insurance.
The fuckwits who set bike insurance rates set 'em so high that riders of modern bikes mostly buy weekend or 8-day permits.
Any XS650 is 30+ years old so it can have an 'antique' registration which costs way less.

Just received an insurance quote for the ‘76. $838 for liability and mandatory accident benefits coverage. I don’t ride much so this would cost me about $.50/km.

Any recommendations for good insurers in Ontario, Can.?

I hate to tell you what I have to pay for insurance in Mississippi. You probably wouldn’t even believe me. I have at least 3X the minimum required at a small fraction of what you pay.

Back