Musical instruments (any)

Screenshot_20230513_172253_Facebook.jpg

I last week got a Squier Stratocaster Brand New
It is supposed to be a beginners instrument.
Not the most solid materials .and quality .But I do believe it is good value for money so far.
It affects sound also .
I have a few sounding much worse and one being more solidly built
Can be worth checking out ..
It is humming a bit but otherwise .. fine good sustain on bass strings.
Dont like the humbuckers which this one dont have-- Single coil only
.and it depends on what sound one is after.
Thin strings not used to them But still good response
Perhaps needs some adjustments but i rarely do that so much.. Maybe intonation and sting height .But lets see

1692009451822.png

Uninspiring weather

Trying to replace some frets on a 90 Japan Stratocaster that i bought new and have kept + 30 years
Second fret most worn trying the 5 first frets --Now se what happens

A set Frets from the Internet right curvature ,Slightly to long pushed / hammered down with a soft mallet ( Plastic )
No Glue.
Checked height with a steel ruler looks perhaps OK.
Will cut the length with pliers and file a bevel and Smooth it out
Put strings on testing ..if it rattles perhaps use a file ..later
Doing it slowly not messing it up .If problems I leave it to a Professional

IMAG0267.jpg
IMAG0266.jpg

Awesome thread! Another reason to love this group! I'm primarily a drummer for the last 43 years, but I play bass too. Here's my two axes. Jackson 4 string X series and an Ernie Ball Music Man 5 string Stingray.
IMG_2938.jpeg

Awesome thread! Another reason to love this group! I'm primarily a drummer for the last 43 years, but I play bass too. Here's my two axes. Jackson 4 string X series and an Ernie Ball Music Man 5 string Stingray. View attachment 263889
Ernie ball is just a few miles from my house. I know a handful of people who work or have worked their.

I used to hum a lot, but everyone kept telling me to shut the hell up, so I tried whistling, then everyone kept telling me to shut the F up. So I started singing, then people came from far and wide to beat the crap out of me. Now I just play the radio - quietly...

I always loved guitars. I'm not very good at playing. So I could never justify (to my wife/financial controller) the costs.

So I taught myself how to make them.

I can't get into my workshop at the moment because there is a XS650 in the way.
This is the last one I made. It's an arctop based on a 1919 Gibson shape.

Attachments

• IMG_20210820_150610289.jpg
    IMG_20210820_150610289.jpg
    468.9 KB · Views: 14
Nice! Have you toured their place? I'd love to go thorough the factory. I got to go through Gibson's place in Memphis and it was really interesting to see the process.

I have not.

On my long list of things to do.

I’ll get there someday haha.

I always loved guitars. I'm not very good at playing. So I could never justify (to my wife/financial controller) the costs.

So I taught myself how to make them.

I can't get into my workshop at the moment because there is a XS650 in the way.
This is the last one I made. It's an arctop based on a 1919 Gibson shape.
If possible please show more

I've been making instruments for around 40 years. Most of the more interesting electric guitars and bases, bazoukies and fiddle's were pre digital. I don't seem to have many photos.
These three were my last ones.

Attachments

• IMG_1659-2.JPG
    IMG_1659-2.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1658-1.JPG
    IMG_1658-1.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20210303_103813543.jpg
    IMG_20210303_103813543.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20210320_111952526.jpg
    IMG_20210320_111952526.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20210227_151730273.jpg
    IMG_20210227_151730273.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 11
My dad hand built my first two acoustic guitars; I was around 5 years old. Sadly no images of them; and they didn't survive into my hectic teens!
But love of music was ingrained into me and I eventually became a drummer / percussionist in several post punk / indie rock bands; doubling up on rhythm guitar. I also played trombone in the school band too!

My early electric guitar set up consisted of A 1971 MARSHALL 50 watt 2 x 12 combo; and an 1980 ARIA Pro 11 Les Paul style guitar.
1971 marshall 50 watt combo.png
Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 16.52.06.png

In my mid 20's I lost interest in playing and loaned both items to an up and coming lad in a band; never to be seen again!
These amps fetch around £1,500.00 in any condition these days.

I now play mainly acoustic guitar at home; strumming along to some of my favourite records (Yes I'm a vinyl lover!).
I have an old Takamine steel 6 string with on board electronics (never used).
IMG_0642.jpeg

I also have a beautiful TAYLOR 910 (No Electronics) which my wife bought for me about 20 years ago.
Top quality woods and construction; It has wonderful mother of pearl inlays and binding; but is a players instrument not a show queen.
I'm looking for a Taylor 800/900 series 12 string to have alongside this fantastic instrument; but boy are they spendy!

IMG_0643.jpeg

Classy looking instrument.
It's nice to just play for the enjoyment of it.
Agreed, I am a poor guitarist but just enjoy the sounds. I also love the sensual beauty and shapes of the instruments. Sometimes it nice to engage others in a sing-a-long after a few 🍺

I used to hum a lot, but everyone kept telling me to shut the hell up, so I tried whistling, then everyone kept telling me to shut the F up. So I started singing, then people came from far and wide to beat the crap out of me. Now I just play the radio - quietly...
Exactly.
Just because a sign says 'singing allowed' doesn't mean you can.

My dad hand built my first two acoustic guitars; I was around 5 years old. Sadly no images of them; and they didn't survive into my hectic teens!
But love of music was ingrained into me and I eventually became a drummer / percussionist in several post punk / indie rock bands; doubling up on rhythm guitar. I also played trombone in the school band too!

My early electric guitar set up consisted of A 1971 MARSHALL 50 watt 2 x 12 combo; and an 1980 ARIA Pro 11 Les Paul style guitar.
View attachment 264027View attachment 264029
In my mid 20's I lost interest in playing and loaned both items to an up and coming lad in a band; never to be seen again!
These amps fetch around £1,500.00 in any condition these days.

I now play mainly acoustic guitar at home; strumming along to some of my favourite records (Yes I'm a vinyl lover!).
I have an old Takamine steel 6 string with on board electronics (never used).
View attachment 264030

I also have a beautiful TAYLOR 910 (No Electronics) which my wife bought for me about 20 years ago.
Top quality woods and construction; It has wonderful mother of pearl inlays and binding; but is a players instrument not a show queen.
I'm looking for a Taylor 800/900 series 12 string to have alongside this fantastic instrument; but boy are they spendy!

View attachment 264032

I have a Marshall with 2 x 12 Speakers .. Sorry to hear that yours disappeared

Bought it around 90 guitar above and the Marshall Valve state something like $ 500 amp and $ 350 for the Stratocaster
I am Very -Very Very Pleased with it.
I have replaced a Potentiometer .But otherwise it has performed Flawless and seen much use .
At home and not cranked up much -- it is Loud enough
Very pleased and I usually find something to complain about but not with this amplifier.
Tubes give better sound but more problems.
What other electrical products bought 1990 do you still have around

This amplifier " Is Still in the match" ( Do you have that proverbial )

A friend wanted to loan it for a rehearsal night mid 90 ies but I said I can do that -- But I come along se what happens
I dont want to leave it out there it is worth a bit of money.

Then when it comes to singing and playing .. One needs to remember that they told Elvis too keep his Truck driving job.

I have a Aria Steel String acoustic The neck is to straight cant adjust it but I have raised the strings and Plays Slide on it
With a 17 mm Long Socket . Had problems finding those sockets with a smooth surface.

Back