My 20+ year project

If you're re-fitting the original twin discs, I've learned a couple of things from mine (assuming the twin-disc version sold in Oz is the same as the Euro one).
1. Don't bother chasing your tail trying to get rid of the small amount of play in the caliper sliders; I was misled by that, because for years I'd been on it like a hawk when the high mileage calipers on my GS Suzukis developed play it was a Bad Thing. When I stripped and rebuilt the XS calipers, I couldn't really find anything that was worn or out of spec, so meh.
Even with 48000 miles on my XS, the tiny amount of wear play was nothing to be concerned about.
2. If you fit a 14mm master cylinder with the standard twin calipers; sure, you'll get a bike that will stand on its nose, but you'll run the risk of running out of lever travel when the shyt hits the fan. I'd fitted a 14mm from some Kwack and that's what happened. I didn't like it much.
3. I ended up fitting a 16mm (5/8) master cylinder from a Honda Deauville. I still get excellent braking performance (much, much better than the original) but you come back into a safe zone, where you won't run out of lever travel. The Deauville mc has a nicely adjustable dog-leg lever, too.
4. Bonus - By also fitting a Deauville clutch perch and lever, you get a matching set up on the bars, and matching mirror mounts, which allowed me to fit a pair of GSX1100 mirrors. Fortuitiously, the new (old) Deauville clutch perch and lever definitely helped the clutch action towards a little bit more smoothness, but I need to delve into the innards of the pushrod / worm cam again anyway, as it's not quite what it should be.

ps. In all this, the use of braided lines is taken as a given.

Thanks for all that info Grimly ,very helpful. I was going to use a 12mm master cylinder that I have with the single disc, but after deciding to go back to having dual discs I started refurbishing the original master cylinder, which is 18mm I believe. I will keep a lookout and see if I can find a 16mm one in the meantime.

Yes, fitting smaller than stock MC's seems to be all the rage around here. Recently I fitted an 11mm unit to replace the stock 14mm one on my single disc set-up, and I encountered the same problem as Grimly. Definitely better "feel" and modulation range, but at the expense of a HUGE increase in lever travel. No braking action at all happens until the lever is pulled a good half way in, and full hard braking isn't achieved until the lever nearly touches the grip. Keep pulling hard after that and it will touch the grip. Honestly, I'm really sorry I "drank this Kool-Aid". I'm on the hunt now for just a slightly smaller than stock unit, a 1/2" model (12.7mm). I think this may be the answer for me, slightly better "feel" than stock but not nearly as much "dead" lever travel.

I'm on the hunt now for just a slightly smaller than stock unit, a 1/2" model (12.7mm). I think this may be the answer for me, slightly better "feel" than stock but not nearly as much "dead" lever travel.

5twins, I bought one of these from Banggood, it says in the description it is a 14mm bore, but I have just removed and measured the piston and it measured up at 12.5mm. Might be one for you to consider.

https://www.banggood.com/78inch-Mot...p-1187214.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN

I have been busy this last week sorting out the brakes, cleaning up the second front rotor and rebuilding and fitting the rear master cylinder and caliper.
IMGP0006.JPG

Jim's hose that he sent over.
IMGP4210.JPG

IMGP4218.JPG

Just waiting for the new braided brake lines to be made up now.

I also picked up the seat from the upholsterer this week, so had to try it out for size, looks pretty good I think.
IMGP0005.JPG

IMGP0009.JPG

I also received the flyscreen I ordered, so I did a test fit of that after I had done a bit more tidying up of the wiring in the headlight shell, I don't think I can do much more with the wiring, there is not much room in there.
IMGP0002.JPG

I also did a test fit of a H4 headlight insert that I had.
IMGP0013.JPG

IMGP0014.JPG

And the view from the pilots seat.
IMGP0018.JPG

I'll be taking a break from my build for a week or so now.
Every year around this time myself and a few mates head off on our bikes for a week or 10 days, just the boys, just cruising, mainly back roads and with only a rough plan of where we will go, and usually plenty of Bullshit and beer in the evenings.:cheers:
To start with we will be heading along the coast towards Adelaide and then up to Australia's famous wine making region the Barossa Valley.
This year as we are leaving on Saturday it is the start of a long weekend here, so we have had to book our first couple of nights, after that we are in the hands of the Road Gods.:)
Cheers;)
Mick.

cheers mate!....I'm off too...fly out in the morning from Gold Coast to Melbourne, pick up a hire car there and drive to Phillip Island to volunteer as a flag marshall at the big Historic car racing weekend, featuring brutal Formula 5000 cars.

Which brings up a good question. Is that something you can do yourself? I have a new seat cover I’m planning to do myself. But I’m not confident in my ability to shape foam. Have you done that before?

I've never done it but I have heard that its one of those goofy tasks that looks MUCH easier than it actually is.

I think you've done a superb job on the wiring - the XS650 headlight bucket is simply too shallow IMHO. The rest of your bike - including that snazzy new seat - looks absolutely great!

Have a great trip with your buddies Mick and ride safely!

Pete

Last edited:
Meddy,
Your bike is really coming together and looking very sharp! The seat came out great!

fly out in the morning from Gold Coast to Melbourne, pick up a hire car there and drive to Phillip Island to volunteer as a flag marshall at the big Historic car racing weekend, featuring brutal Formula 5000 cars.
Have fun there MBX, looks like the weather is going to be OK, although you can never be sure at The Island.
Are the formula 5000 cars the ones like Jack Brabbham drove? I remember my Dad took me to see him racing at Sandown in 1965 I think.

I think you've done a superb job on the wiring - the XS650 headlight bucket is simply too shallow IMHO. The rest of your bike - including that snazzy new seat - looks absolutely great!

Have a great trip with your buddies Mick and ride safely!

Thanks Pete.
I reckon when they were designing the XS650 the electrical engineers must have walked out of the design meeting mumbling & grumbling to themselves when they saw how much space they had been given in the headlight and under the seat.:wtf:

Your bike is really coming together and looking very sharp! The seat came out great!
Thanks Bob and Jim, I feel like I'm getting somewhere now after all these months of plodding along and not much to show.

Meddy there was one of Jacks cars there at the weekend but I didn't get a pic (plenty pix over on my 'flat battery bike died' thread)
Jack was 3 times world Formula One champion in the era before Formula One and 5000 were actually run in the same races the very late 60s early 70s and at one race a Formula 5000 actually won the race with small block Chevy power!...

fantastic attention to detail meddy and a lot of work phew!....
I've really enjoyed catching up on your build progress this morning . I had lost my previous thread subscription somehow ?

Love the seat and the wiring is most impressive. Most of all though I envy your annual rode trip with your mates to wherever the road takes you.... what a dream trip.

I have to ask as I am petrified of spiders . How do you manage them in your shed with so many paces they can hide ? the hair on my arms is standing on end even thinking about it . here in the UK I have spider-proofed my house but the blighters still get into my shed and make it tough for me to work in there sometimes

It may be an old wives tale but I think if your distribute some moth balls around the lower edge of the outside wall of your shed - it might encourage them to look elsewhere for a place to live.

Pete

Over the last five years Cardiff UK has been overtaken by a new spider, the False Widow. I am not sure how wide spread they are, perhaps Peanut has seen a few move in. There are many in my garage but they do not bother me. Their bite is quite nasty if you have an allergy to them:
False-Widow-Spiders.jpg

The abdomen reminds me of the castor bean:
castor-beans-300x277.jpg

Perhaps the False Widow also has a laxative potential!

Over the last five years Cardiff UK has been overtaken by a new spider, the False Widow. I am not sure how wide spread they are, perhaps Peanut has seen a few move in. There are many in my garage but they do not bother me. Their bite is quite nasty if you have an allergy to them:
False-Widow-Spiders.jpg

The abdomen reminds me of the castor bean:

we have lots of these in our garden and sheds but the are mostly black ...................horrible things .
Another spider we have seen increase like a plague over the past 5 years is a huge black spider with thick black hair and short legs. They smother our outside walls and live in holes in the stonework.
I reckon these are all foreign imports lol

Meddy apologies for hyjacking your build thread . Please ask if you would like me to remove my posts I won't be offended in the least

Last edited:
fantastic attention to detail meddy and a lot of work phew!....
I've really enjoyed catching up on your build progress this morning . I had lost my previous thread subscription somehow ?

Love the seat and the wiring is most impressive. Most of all though I envy your annual rode trip with your mates to wherever the road takes you.... what a dream trip.

I have to ask as I am petrified of spiders . How do you manage them in your shed with so many paces they can hide ?

Thanks for the kind words Peanut much appreciated.
The wiring has been one of the parts of the rebuild I have really enjoyed, I just plod along doing a little bit at a time whilst listening to some old records, very therapeutic.

Ha Ha, had to laugh about your spider comment Peanut, I think you would freak out living here, I've just about given up on keeping them under control, a bit of surface spray now and then keeps them down a bit, but it does not seem to bother the Huntsmen spiders that live in the Eucalypt trees outside, they can often be found cruising around and give you a bit of a fright when your not expecting it.
Here's one.
Huntsman.jpg

Thanks for the kind words Peanut much appreciated.
The wiring has been one of the parts of the rebuild I have really enjoyed, I just plod along doing a little bit at a time whilst listening to some old records, very therapeutic.

Ha Ha, had to laugh about your spider comment Peanut, I think you would freak out living here, I've just about given up on keeping them under control, a bit of surface spray now and then keeps them down a bit, but it does not seem to bother the Huntsmen spiders that live in the Eucalypt trees outside, they can often be found cruising around and give you a bit of a fright when your not expecting it.
Here's one.
View attachment 115594

I wouldn't freak out Meddy I would literally die of a massive heart attack if one of those Huntsmen suddenly materialised within 20 foot of me .
Most folk find it amusing and make fun of me but spiders cause an instant indescribable terror for me . Snakes, Tigers Bears Alligators fine but spiders no
Please don't tell me thats your hand holding that spider :yikes:

You have a great workshop and I bet its great listening to some old classic records whilst building your baby ...my idea of Heaven
When you finally take her for a spin I hope you'll video it for us .

Back