My 80 basket case build thread. thing

cstafford

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
All right I'm going to do like the majority and just have a build thread for all of my questions and such.
I purchased a 80 XS650 basket case off a guy on craigs list for 500$. Gave me the normal run down, "it was running last week!". So basically for the two months Ive had it the build has been focused on getting the engine back to life. (due to funds, and being new to this its taken that long) But today marks the day when we hope she/it starts up! Ive been taking notes of the "build" on my phone so I guess I could post those up to.

2011-04-18_06-43-10_986.jpg

Pretty dark picture but there she is. There is a lot of things you cant see, like how the front wheel, and the gear lever is held on by bent nails. The left down tube and exhaust pipe have a big dent in it, there was nothing holding on the foot pegs. Little stuff like that.

2011-05-18_17-27-10_153.jpg

Well we got the carbs back on, still have the same prob we had when we first picked it up. Its leaking gas from the carbs. I cleaned it up and replaced the needle and they move freely now, so we are kind of confused. We tapped one and it stopped leaking but now the other one is leaking a little.

You say you replaced some of the components, did you replace the float valves and set the float height?
Sorry should of been move specific, no we just replaced the needle.
Also only one carb had a pilot jet float, does the other one need one?

Well the bike isn't getting a spark so it looks like the coming back to life celebration will be put on hold for now. Good thing to have around is a guy who was around these bikes when they came out haha. Btw do you guys now of a special trick to get the carbs in and out? We always have a hell of a time doing it...

My TCbros tail came in today, so I am pretty excited about that. Those guys get stuff out fast.

2011-05-20_11-20-34_903.jpg

Who hasnt seen that before ;) I am hoping I can get it welded up over the weekend and start to have something that looks like a bobber. We are trying to get a roller by the end of the month. Thats the goal anyway.

Last edited:
I just picked up my first bike tonight too. Good luck with it, and definitely post about your no-spark issue; same thing I'm dealin with.

Droped my frame off for hardtailing. For all you georgia guys who need a fabrication job done, shop 102 in kennesaw is where its at. Shop102moto.blogspot.com, chad is a real nice guy and pretty fair.

Havnt updated in a while. The bike is in roller stage now. Ive been prepping the frame for paint, or maybe even the lack of. Im really into rat rods and such so I am thinking either just primer, or a clear coat after sand blasting.

2011-07-12_17-56-14_777.jpg

I also really dig the 1 into 2 manifolds that I found on ebay. Pretty sure that the maker posts on this forum. Anyways on an other forum I am really active on, a guy is trying to talk me out of getting them. Anyone who has these experience any problems?
How do you know that both cylinders are getting the same amount of fuel? In my racing bike, there is a huge difference if carb is like few degreeses turned in the manifold. So that fuel from the jet is going mainly to one side of the engine, this will take about 2-7 horse powers from the engine. This was noticed during dyno-testing of my friend´s long track engine. This is a problem on 4-valve engine ofcourse. How early is that manifold going to split into two inside it? Because, I was just thinking about g-forces. When you corner, long one like at motorway. Could fuel go from carb to the side of the manifold. And then most of the fuel goes to single cylinder on the outside, leaving the inside cylinder burning rich? Also, I doubt that only jetting will help, it could run but how well?]

All right guys here my current dilemma. I bought the XS performance steering head bearing kit from mikesxs ( Part #28-2009). Its been a while since we took the front end off and was wondering at the bottom of the stem there is a metal ring which I guess is the original race and under that is a rubber gasket. Do I need to remove what I believe is the original race? Im pretty sure I do but its not even budging which was making me think it was attached to the stem.

Concerning the 2-1 intakes. I put the 2-1 tracker intake on my '83 650 with a 36mm VM Mikuni. I've put about 100 mi. on the bike since on various short rides [been over 100 deg. in Ks. for the past 6 weeks or so so not doing too much riding], any way the bike seems to run very well on the single carb. I think it might be running a little rich in the mid range but accelerates up to 70 mph fine and idles perfectly. Also, way easier to get at than the two stock carbs to work on. Thats the main reason I went to the single carb.

Looked up and down the tech section but I didnt see anything about it. But I took another look at the diagram and it does look like that has to come out. The fucker isnt budging at all, and really pissing me off. Ill keep at it.

Back