My Dads old pliers

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t know why, but I’m not a terribly sentimental person. My home is not filled with keepsakes and photographs, in fact I’m rather ruthless about throwing things away when they get old or haven’t been used in a long time……with the exception of these pliers. When my Dad passed away, years ago, my Mother offered me any and all of my Dads tools. I went out to the shed to look at them but most everything he had, I already had. Then I spotted the pliers, probably the oldest tool my Dad had.
IMG_9817.jpeg

IMG_9815.jpeg

I could remember these pliers always being in my Dads toolbox. When I was a kid I used them to work on my bikes, and later in high school, to work on the old pickup I bought. I had held these pliers a thousand times in my life, and when I picture my Dad in my mind, it’s always him working on something. He grew up on a farm and out of necessity he learned to repair tractors, cars and farm implements, and he was an accomplished electrician and plumber and carpenter too. So when I spotted his old pliers, I knew that they were the thing to remind me of him.
Today I took them down from my pegboard that hangs over my workbench to look at them. For the first time, I was curious to find out more about them. They say Cee Tee Co. Jamestown N.Y. U.S.A. , I had never heard of them so I looked them up. Turns out that is what Crecent Tools used to call themselves. The raised “checker dot “ pattern on the handles were patented in 1915. They. Must’ve made a million of them because you can find better preserved versions on EBay for not too much. I also read that they were included in the factory tool kit that came with WW2 Jeeps. Seeing as my Dad served in the Philippines in WW2 and he spent some time as a driver, I could imagine these falling off a Jeep and into my Dads duffel bag. 😄
I cleaned them up a bit and hung them back up on my pegboard and just looked at them for a moment.
Here’s to you Dad.
IMG_9826.jpeg

They say Cee Tee Co. Jamestown N.Y. U.S.A. , I had never heard of them so I looked them up. Turns out that is what Crecent Tools used to call themselves. The raised “checker dot “ pattern on the handles were patented in 1915. They. Must’ve made a million of them because you can find better preserved versions on EBay for not too much
I was born and raised in Jamestown, NY. When I was in high school, I walked past the Crescent Tool factory every day, to and from school. I walked by within a few feet of those drop hammers that could be heard all over the city. I think most of the industry is gone from there now.

I don’t know why, but I’m not a terribly sentimental person. My home is not filled with keepsakes and photographs, in fact I’m rather ruthless about throwing things away when they get old or haven’t been used in a long time……with the exception of these pliers. When my Dad passed away, years ago, my Mother offered me any and all of my Dads tools. I went out to the shed to look at them but most everything he had, I already had. Then I spotted the pliers, probably the oldest tool my Dad had.
View attachment 325492
View attachment 325490

I could remember these pliers always being in my Dads toolbox. When I was a kid I used them to work on my bikes, and later in high school, to work on the old pickup I bought. I had held these pliers a thousand times in my life, and when I picture my Dad in my mind, it’s always him working on something. He grew up on a farm and out of necessity he learned to repair tractors, cars and farm implements, and he was an accomplished electrician and plumber and carpenter too. So when I spotted his old pliers, I knew that they were the thing to remind me of him.
Today I took them down from my pegboard that hangs over my workbench to look at them. For the first time, I was curious to find out more about them. They say Cee Tee Co. Jamestown N.Y. U.S.A. , I had never heard of them so I looked them up. Turns out that is what Crecent Tools used to call themselves. The raised “checker dot “ pattern on the handles were patented in 1915. They. Must’ve made a million of them because you can find better preserved versions on EBay for not too much. I also read that they were included in the factory tool kit that came with WW2 Jeeps. Seeing as my Dad served in the Philippines in WW2 and he spent some time as a driver, I could imagine these falling off a Jeep and into my Dads duffel bag. 😄
I cleaned them up a bit and hung them back up on my pegboard and just looked at them for a moment.
Here’s to you Dad.
View attachment 325491
I am the exact opposite. I won't throw away anything my mom or dad had. My favorite body hammer is the first one he ever bought around 1957.

Very nice!

I have a handful of my Dad's tools as well.

hack1.jpg

hack2.jpg

This hacksaw is my favorite, as it has his name engraved on the frame. Best guess is that it's from the late 40's or early 50's. Besides farming, he worked as a maintenance guy first for the GM "jet" plant during WWII and after for Federal-Mogul, the piston rings and bearings manufacturer.

I am the exact opposite. I won't throw away anything my mom or dad had. My favorite body hammer is the first one he ever bought around 1957.

I even have one of My Grandads items a Measuring stick " Tumstock " Folding rule
in Aluminium died 1968
They still make them Usually made of wood but people in Cement / concrete rock mining use them in Al not breaking so
easily
He dug wells and stonemasonry Some for decoration
He was careful with his tools, no one was allowed to touch them

Looks like that but not the actual one.
1715292140317.png

Being the oldest of the oldest of the oldest in multiple generations, I've known the old ones going back to my great great grandparents and have inherited lots of 'stuff', usually already picked over by my grandfather, dad and uncle.

One of my favorite stories of descended inheritance is when Uncle Willie, my great grandmothers brother, a poor dirt farmer on the Eastern Shore of Maryland passed. My grandparents had to settle the estate. Pop oversaw the distribution of the manly items, tools and such. After Pop first and Dad second came Unk (uncle/brother nine years my senior) and then me. I got some homemade corn knives from what appears to be leaf springs from a model "A", some hand tools and a small wooden cask of bent nails. "Uncle Willie Nails" have now crept into the family vernacular. Not sure if it was the wooden cask or the contents that were deemed valueable, but I got real good at straightening nails.

Since then, Pop and Dad have passed and those things they inherited were in turn handed down.

Many a time while using these items and getting in to a questionable situation I'll ask the previous owner "What would you do here Pop? Dad? Uncle Willie? Seems to work for me and I don't think they mind.......

Being the oldest of the oldest of the oldest in multiple generations, I've known the old ones going back to my great great grandparents and have inherited lots of 'stuff', usually already picked over by my grandfather, dad and uncle.

One of my favorite stories of descended inheritance is when Uncle Willie, my great grandmothers brother, a poor dirt farmer on the Eastern Shore of Maryland passed. My grandparents had to settle the estate. Pop oversaw the distribution of the manly items, tools and such. After Pop first and Dad second came Unk (uncle/brother nine years my senior) and then me. I got some homemade corn knives from what appears to be leaf springs from a model "A", some hand tools and a small wooden cask of bent nails. "Uncle Willie Nails" have now crept into the family vernacular. Not sure if it was the wooden cask or the contents that were deemed valueable, but I got real good at straightening nails.

Since then, Pop and Dad have passed and those things they inherited were in turn handed down.

Many a time while using these items and getting in to a questionable situation I'll ask the previous owner "What would you do here Pop? Dad? Uncle Willie? Seems to work for me and I don't think they mind.......

Great story! I love the Uncle Willy nails! 😄

20240510_124300.jpg20240510_124330.jpg
Tools are like that, eh? My dad had minimal mechanical ability that I could perceive and the only tool, other than a claw hammer, that I recall, was this pair of pliers which I still use as needed.
They feel good in my hand.
Just googled a bit of research on Engineering Tools and Forgings Limited and they are from a time when we made stuff in Canada.

It’s nice to have tools that our fathers had. Dad was quite the woodworker and all he had was an old Japanese plane, a couple of chisels, a crosscut saw, a crank style drill and his pocket knife. It was amazing seeing the things he made. Oh, and the other tool he had, that I never will have is patience..

View attachment 325557View attachment 325558
Tools are like that, eh? My dad had minimal mechanical ability that I could perceive and the only tool, other than a claw hammer, that I recall, was this pair of pliers which I still use as needed.
They feel good in my hand.
Just googled a bit of research on Engineering Tools and Forgings Limited and they are from a time when we made stuff in Canada.
Canadian made stuff like my mom's first bicycle, a CCM, Fargo trucks, Mercury trucks, Acadians, Meteors, Beaumonts, and Rogers Maple syrup!

The first time I saw a Mercury truck, 1967, I was working on a farm in Ontario. I asked my boss what was the difference between a Ford and Mercury truck, he said the Mercury was about $150.00 dearer.

Last edited:
Owned and drove 51 Mercury at university, drove it to DC from Ontario in '74. Vacuum wipers.....
Had a couple comments in US traffic about it not being a Ford.

Back