My next Yamaha project

TX650A Van Islander

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I suppose I will first cast blame, and then quickly extend thanks, to the FJ owners in the group. I have finally joined the club! Having last ridden one over 15 years ago, last weekend I picked up a 1990 with 31000 kms, and an '89 "parts bike" with 63000 kms. The black one is the keeper. Hopefully this weekend I'll start the full examination and removal of the fairings so I can better understand this bike. There are a few small cracks in the fairings, but overall it is in good condition. The PO was apparently a mechanic and it has upgraded front brakes and a 17" diameter rear wheel fitted.
I'm looking forward to learning more about this bike and riding it asap. Hopefully I'll have it plated and insured in about 2 months or so.
I'm still keen on the old '74, but it's sort of "done" now, so time for something else so this road burner was my choice.
1696477223629_DSC00322.JPG
image000003.jpg
image000002.jpg

I suppose I will first cast blame, and then quickly extend thanks, to the FJ owners in the group. I have finally joined the club! Having last ridden one over 15 years ago, last weekend I picked up a 1990 with 31000 kms, and an '89 "parts bike" with 63000 kms. The black one is the keeper. Hopefully this weekend I'll start the full examination and removal of the fairings so I can better understand this bike. There are a few small cracks in the fairings, but overall it is in good condition. The PO was apparently a mechanic and it has upgraded front brakes and a 17" diameter rear wheel fitted.
I'm looking forward to learning more about this bike and riding it asap. Hopefully I'll have it plated and insured in about 2 months or so.
I'm still keen on the old '74, but it's sort of "done" now, so time for something else so this road burner was my choice.
View attachment 253457View attachment 253459View attachment 253460

They’re great bikes, congratulations on your new project! Keep us posted…….and don’t forget the photos! 😉

View attachment 253457View attachment 253459View attachment 253460
Wow, that bike is mint!! Congrats...nice find. 🥰

I started taking the FJ apart this afternoon, but got stuck on some fasteners holding on the main fairing, perhaps near the headlight. Any ideas? I must get a manual - don't have one yet. Lots of smaller cracks in various fairings, some of which have been repaired. The PO had a radar detector wired in, that is in the picture on the floor beside the bike. Lots of extra crappy wiring, some of it audio connections!!!
He also had some really old school headed grips and some other crazy unknown thing, literally glued to the clutch fluid reservoir. That is yet to come off.
Any help with the fairing removal is welcome. The last photo is of some unknown wire.
20231021_151221.jpg
20231021_164514.jpg
20231021_164529.jpg

Another view. I think the box zapstrpped to the frame on the right side is for the wickedly loud horn which was installed on the bike. It also has a relay I can hear clicking, possibly for the LED headlight which has a built-in fan.
20231021_164129.jpg

Fairing is off as is the gas tank. This bike is a wiring nightmare unfortunately. The heated grips were getting power directly from the ignition power. PO hacked into that. Quite brutal. I need a book with a wiring diagram so I can identify some colour for various wires.
I still don't know what this device is which I'm pulling off, "secured" to the bike with this goo. Brutal.
Apparently not all shiny things are great under their covers. o_O:poo:
20231022_143000.jpg
20231022_143235.jpg
20231022_145648.jpg
20231022_151114.jpg

It looks like you’re making good progress. Just getting all those funky wiring hacks removed and going through the harness will help immensely. Checking for exposed wires and shining up connections as you go.
I had installed a set of dual horns with an operating relay on my old V-Strom, but I did a much neater job than that! 😄
I know what you mean about the plastic bodywork and all those hidden screws and connectors, they can be a pain! But at least things are out in the open now.
It’s coming along! 🙂

Vow can be a problem
Perhaps to late but since you have 2 bikes perhaps can help
I use electric tape or so writing the same number on each side when disconnecting or cutting up
And on connectors I use a pen
It takes a bit longer time doing it .But saves enormously reconnecting
Should it be a DIY modified wiring with no matching colors or not according to wiring schematic. it saves a lot of time

If everything comes off some notes on a paper is helping using a Voltmeter or test lamp identifying

Cracked plastic as in fairing I use 2 component epoxy for stopping the cracks widening with overall good results . or adding more material should a screw hole or so be to large. If it is not on a visible place I add a little extra over the surface plane.

The fairings can have a strict procedure for removing and installing so a manual can help
And a correct wiring Schematic is needed

1698016469459.png

Cool project! I'll tune in.
I had an '86 1100.
Did the PO tell you what condition the second gear is in, that is, is it shifting OK?

He said it shifts ok, and I rode it briefly before I bought it. I hope the second gear is ok. It seemed to be. There are definitely some hacks on this motorcycle. The calipers have been replaced, and the rear one is bad, to accommodate the 17" diameter wheel installed, which I believe is 1.0
20231022_154109.jpg
" wider as well. The swing arm has been modified. I decided this afternoon that I'll exchange the swingarm with the parts bike and go to the original rear wheel and brakes.
I'm almost regretting this purchase now honestly, I was a bit hasty on it as they don't come up for sale too often around here. I didn't notice this caliper "welding" job. Brutal!!!:mad:

Thanks for the advice on the fairings, Jan_P

The "BOX" held on by goo, some sort of burgler alarm?
Give it a bit of time, Those first few days of discovering what the bike really is about are always a bit disappointing. They are great bikes once fettled. A very nice one passed through here this spring, should have kept it but it did find a great new home.
Read up on fuel pumps, fuel filters....

KIMG3728.JPG

Wow that welding looks like someone with my skill levels did that. I think you better off converting back to stock right now. Good you’re addressing the wiring gremlins. I do as @Jan_P suggests. When I disassemble a not familiar harness I’ll tag each connection with masking tape and number them. I’ve also used self adhesive wire markers too.

The bike looks like a good Winter project.

It sucks, but it seems we always have to do the "previous owner archeology" to see what sort of hack they may (or may not) have been.

There's nothing too insurmountable there...take that caliper bracket to a machine shop, they can make quick work of it.

Back