My next Yamaha project

Update: the parts bike original front wheel is now on the rider bike, and I've cleaned up the hand controls and switched out the foot pegs as the parts bike had some better parts than the rider. Also got the rear wheel off of the parts bike. Perhaps this week will remove the exhaust prior to swingarm removal.
Also, through to discussion about electrolysis I believe it was Jim? who mentioned cleaning Yamaha tools? I got a tool kit with each of these FJs, and one of them is in really nice shape!
Where these the same type of tools which came with the XS650s?
20231126_134836.jpg
20231126_105542.jpg

Update: the parts bike original front wheel is now on the rider bike, and I've cleaned up the hand controls and switched out the foot pegs as the parts bike had some better parts than the rider. Also got the rear wheel off of the parts bike. Perhaps this week will remove the exhaust prior to swingarm removal.
Also, through to discussion about electrolysis I believe it was Jim? who mentioned cleaning Yamaha tools? I got a tool kit with each of these FJs, and one of them is in really nice shape!
Where these the same type of tools which came with the XS650s?
View attachment 256060View attachment 256061
I believe a few of the tools that come with the more expensive bike may be higher quality than what’s in the XS650 kit.

Pads have enough material on them to be reused if they are still matched to the rotors they were run on. Since they’re an easy swap, you could try them once you get the bike rolling. If you’re not happy with the performance you can swap them out at that time. For aftermarket pads I’ve had good luck with EBC.

🤩fun to watch your FJ progress.
info for consideration here.
Back in the day my 91 had V&Hines ignition advancer , K&N filter in the box, Dyna jet kit, Stock exhaust. I kept it in tune well.
That formula worked. I rode with 3 other FJ’s to Laguna Seca one year for the USGP.
My bike had roll on advantage over the other bikes with various upgrades including exhaust systems on I-5 at any speed.
Conclusion= the stock exhaust system does make good power
😎

I’m jealous about how easy those carbs come off. Great progress. Watch out or you’ll have it done by Christmas and will no longer have a winter project! That’s going to be a beauty when it’s done.
Thanks for the feedback guys. Must have been great to have a new FJ!
There is so much fiddly work to be done with this project. Hahaha re done by Christmas! Pretty soon I'm going to have to focus on Christmas stuff.

Happy New Year! Update on the FJ. More good news as the valves all checked out in spec, with exception to 3 of the 8 exhaust valves, which were 0.001" loose. RPM in California, supplier of Fj parts said this was not a big deal. Any looser, not so good. I figure I'll run it for a while and see where it goes. Maybe they will tighten up? Thoughts from more experienced guys than me?

I've now got the back end almost off of the rider bike, moving towards cleaning everything and greasing all bearings for swing arm. New parts I need for carbs and valve cover gasket/valve cover bolt seals, fuel filter, some other bits, are all ordered. Hopefully I'll get the back end together within a week as these things are taking up room in my workplace and I can't leave it like this for long.
It is a gearhead's motorcycle playground at the moment, making one pretty good bike out of two!
20240101_110849.jpg

20231229_131919.jpg
20240101_122012.jpg
20240101_122044.jpg
20240101_122057.jpg

I believe the Valves gets tighter over time If shims
I have a Honda Fireblade 929 2000 When I checked them all valves was tight . Set by someone else .. But within specs except one that was slightly to tight
A lot of work do it .So I asked the dealer .He said OK ..not ideal but given the amount of work - what can go wrong
And the vehicles Value I let it be as they were.
Next time and if so other work will be done . Maybe not Financially sensible who knows

You might have already said, but any plans to have two good bikes further down the road? :geek:

You might have already said, but any plans to have two good bikes further down the road? :geek:
Good question. My initial answer is I doubt it as the parts bike was not running when I got it and I am taking the best looking parts from that and putting them onto the better bike. Also the rear caliper the PO had with the 6" wheel is haywire. I'll post a picture of it later this week. The fairings are quite messy too, so it may be that this machine has seen its last road days. I don't plan on selling anything right away so who knows?!

Good question. My initial answer is I doubt it as the parts bike was not running when I got it and I am taking the best looking parts from that and putting them onto the better bike. Also the rear caliper the PO had with the 6" wheel is haywire. I'll post a picture of it later this week. The fairings are quite messy too, so it may be that this machine has seen its last road days. I don't plan on selling anything right away so who knows?!
This was an interesting vid on resurrection of an FJ1200. He painted a good picture of “is it worth it?” Those are surely great bikes.

I also like these bikes and have at times looked at them up for sale
I dont think anyone will pay serious money for them
I feel it is a good Idea to have 2 ... should a part be needed which sometimes happens
It can fall over and new blinker $ 20 with freight
Gear shifter $ 20 with freight is slowly adds up And at times parts can be sold out and difficult to find

Back