need help identify electrical

IronFist_650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey! New to this forum and new to Yamaha xs650. Only worked with Sportsters before. A few weeks back i bought a 1982 xs650 SE. Btw is the SE and Heritage the same? From what i can tell from the serial number on the Engine it is a 1982 Heritage, not SE as stated in my papers?? Anyway. I have the frame ready to be rigid and thought i should dive into the Electrical stuff of this bike to learn how it works. From what i can see there has been alot of changes from previous owners. The starter motor was not conected so it was kick only. I can´t find the starter solenoid (maybe you don´t need it with kick start only?) I was looking at the electrical scheme for the SE models but it make no sense. There should be no Ignition unit on the SE but there is one on my bike? If i look at the cheme for the Heritage there is a ignition unit but also only one coil for the sparkplugs when there are 2 coils on my mine?? Anyway, in the pictute are the stuff from the electrical harness except from fuses etc.. I will do the new system with an M-unit and M-button from Motogadget. My question is now what i need to save from the old harness . I was thinking of purchase a regulator/rectifier. But what are the other things? If anyone has a scheme of the igntion system with an m-unit it would be very helpful :)
Sorry if my English is not the best ;)
xs6503.JPG

the isn't an 83 reg/rec it's 79 or earlier.
Pics of your left and right cam with the covers off pic of the LH with the round alternator cover off help ID whats been done electrically. battery area any harness shots won't hurt.

Some pics of the mess..

Attachments

• xs6505.JPG
    xs6505.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 245
  • xs6506.JPG
    xs6506.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 234
  • xs6507.JPG
    xs6507.JPG
    184.1 KB · Views: 208
  • xs6508.JPG
    xs6508.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 230
  • xs6509.JPG
    xs6509.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 236
Those pictures are good to help ID, please also send the serial number on the frame and on the engine.

The motor is a '79 or older unit with an aftermarket electronic ignition added to replace the original points. An SE would be a '78 model, which your motor could very well be.

Hmmm.. it would make sense. But when the serial number starts with 3L1 05...... it says 1982? or am i missing something?

Check the number on the front lower right of the motor. It will probably be different than the number on the neck.

Doesn't matter, It's a 447 motor for now that's all we need to know.
You have the correct stator for the charging parts you have in the first pictures. That's good.
You have an aftermarket Boyer ignition that looks to be all there, and (we hope) working.
Oh we also want to see pictures of your wife or girlfriend......... :sneaky:
No reason you can't get from there to sparking, running, and charging.

Euro SE models encompassed several years.........The Standard was produced and sold in Europe until 82. There was the US Custom, (Special), sold up to and including 82.

,Clipboard 5.jpg 80US Custom.jpg

These bikes were the early Euro, US custom, Specials.
Clipboard.jpg xs650SF-4.jpg

If

Last edited:
All that number really tells you is the year of those cases. They could be filled with parts from a bunch of other years. The "447" type motor was produced from '74 up to the end of production ('82 or '83). Most of the parts interchange between all those years. Some other things to look at would be the right engine cover. Does it have an oil sight glass? That would make it an '81 or newer cover. Also, the cam chain tensioner assembly. Several versions were used over the years .....

TensionerID.jpg

But again, all this stuff could have been easily changed.

Well you are correct about the serial number being for an '82. The frame and engine numbers match? Does it have black fenders, turn signal stalks and fork lowers?
Your ignition looks like an old NewTronics model. There should be a black box the wire from the ignition run to, see if it doesn't say NewTronics on the box.
You can find a similar setup on this page fitted to a TX750.
Your charging system is the old type like 5Twins said pre 80.
Why someone would go to the trouble to swap out is the million dollar question.
I can see swapping the ignition (kinda) if the TCI box went south but the charging system also????
Someone liked to tinker is probably the answer.
As setup OEM the voltage regulator and relay were mounted to sides of the battery box not tucked on the back side.

Good point i was misreading the chart............This is the first time i have seen a euro 82 ID no. Would be good to see the Frame No

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help so far!

Yes, there is a oil sight glass. But i can´t find any black box named NewTronics. From my papers the frame and engine match. The frame is located 2 hours away so i can´t confirm...

So, here are som more Pictures of the mess.. The coils seems not to be oem for this bike as they didn´t line up with the mountingtabs. I tried in the picture to give you a visual how everything was conected. Also a pic of the bike before i ripped it appart. Sorry, no pic of the wife ;)

As i mentioned before, i will use a M-unit for the new system so i won´t need fuses and relays as they are already in the m-unit. The things i need from the old harness would be the ignition system. Still not sure what all the parts are. For your information the bike was running and all electrical worked when i bought it. All the electrical part are on the pictures, no more boxes, relays etc
xs65010.JPG
xs65011.JPG
xs65012.JPG

Well I swore I read boyer on the that electronic module but yes Newtronics. a couple of links to some installs.
http://www.xs650.org.au/Technical Info/Ignition.htm
http://www.tobyfolwick.com/tx750/textual/nwtronic.php
It appears yours is an older system, guess you will have to wire it up and see if it makes sparks. they may have been out and back in business.
It consists of the units installed in the points cover, that black box labeled newtronics and the pair of ignition coils.
Looks like someone left the condensers in the wiring which I don't think is correct. I may have an old newtronics kicking around here, working when removed.

Last edited:
My suggestion is to sort what you have BEFORE you start buying parts. methodical testing of components to find what does and doesn't work will let you decide which parts are and are NOT needed. Hint; there are better regulator solutions than the ones from Mikes XS. So test out the ignition and charging components, if they don't work you may be better off changing to completely different systems.

Ironfist in your post #16, the last picture with the components on it. There is a black box about the size of a cigarette or card pack, the one with the atom circles logo. What does it say on it?
Your bike seems to be a mish match of parts and years. Here in the USA those mags were only available on '81 models. The rear fender is ????. The gas tank has a correct badge but none had screw on caps by '82. The '81 - 82 Heritage Specials had black carbs, jugs, head and head cover. I'm thinking those weren't the OEM rototiller bars either they seem too tall and narrow?

Back