Need help with front forks...

rangerider45

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just added two inches to my front end with Frank's Forks on a 1978 XS650 SE.

Questions:
1) How do I get the Allen bolt in the bottom of each fork to tighten? The cylinder and piston the Allen bolt screws into just keeps turning inside the lower fork.

2) My forks are now 2" over stock length. Is it better to just add 7 oz of fork oil, or fill with oil to within 6" of the tube top without the springs in there?

3) What is a good manual for me to buy. I bought a Clymer Manual, but it's pretty skimpy and not very informative compared to other manuals I've had.

Thanks...
Charlie

Attachments

• 2015-05-13 08.13.51.jpg
    2015-05-13 08.13.51.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 231
Thanks "Wherearewe." That answered the tightening of the bolt question. I figured/reasoned out that extended forks still use the same amount of oil as stock forks.

I'm not so sure about that. You have 2" more space in the forks now. I would think you need to compensate for that with a bit more oil. I would add the stock amount and then measure with the springs out, forks compressed, and see what level that gives you. That "6" from the top" is a general setting applied to many different forks, but it's not always what's best. I would see where the stock amount puts you and if it's, say 4" or 5" lower than that 6" recommendation, you might want to sort of split the difference, go somewhere in between. For your information, on these forks, a half ounce of oil raises the level about an inch.

Back