need to rebuild my master cylinder and caliper

dmgmn

XS650 Member
Reaction score
OK, I've got my 1975 xs 650 running after 33 year (My dad gave it to me and I just finished rebuilding the carbs).

Now I need to fix the front brake. My plan is to rebuild both the MC and caliper. My question is, is there a better place to buy the parts other than Mikes XS?` I bought the carb rebuild kits but only used 10% of the parts and had to buy the proper jets through JetsRus. I don't want to make the same mistake again.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dennis

Also, can you guys help me identify the the model number of my MC? IF I want to use Mikes XS I will need to figure out which kit I will need to buy.

Thanks again,

Dennis

On your 75 it uses a round alloy M/C. It has a 16 mm bore. Last time I checked Mike's didn't have kits for it.
If you don't mind a change in the look of your M/C then I might suggest shopping Ebay and getting a 14 mm bore M/C. I have one I bought that says it's a replacement for an XS400 as well as the xs650 and several other bikes.
It comes with a spare rebuild kit. I paid around $29 for it.
It is very close to a stock M/C, so close you can use a your stock lever on it. The finish isn't quite as nice as a stock unit.
Going to a 14 mm M/C on your bike will greatly improve the feel and strength of your brake.
I would also replace the old rubber lines with braided stainless steel. Your old ones may look good but they rot from the inside out.
There is a guy on here that sells a one piece line to fit the early bikes. The way the brake line hooks to the caliper with a short steel line. This is different than the later, 77 up calipers that use a banjo bolt.
The banjo bolt won't work on the early, 76 an older calipers.
This guy makes them right or you can get most any line then take your line and caliper to a parts store. Get and adapter that fits your caliper. It's the same as a banjo bolt size and thread, 10 mm x 1.25 I think. On one end and has a AN-3 one the other to fit the line.
Leo

Back