New-b first thread and build

Ferk000

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum. I am 17 years old and yesterday I just purchased 2 xs650's for $850 both non running with titles. As of now, I am planning on building the '77 and saving the '82 for a rainy day. I have never built a custom motorcycle but I have had a little experience with welding and fabricating in the past. My plan is to build a fully custom cafe racer, extend swingarm 2", and convert the rear suspension to monoshok. I will be using this thread for a lot of help throughout my build ESPECIALLY when it comes to wiring. Here are some pictures of what I purchased. The rolling chassis does have an engine with it, it is just not in the picture. Thanks everyone:thumbsup:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 109
Hi Ferk and welcome,
congratulations on buying a pair of time machines!
An XS650 will take you back to the 1920s if you follow the hardtail/springer/no front brake crowd, let you re-live the glorious 1970s with the restorers, or move you into the 21st Century with the upgraders.
And with two bikes to work with there's more than one way to go.

excellent. I have three xs's, and One is a 680xs chop, one is a really nice 71 xs650, and I plan on doing a replica 71 with a 1980 650.

Thanks for the replies everyone! Started the tear down today. Took off most of the electrical parts (signals, lights, switches) almost had a heart atack when I took the headlight off! Going to finish the tear down this week and begin to fab the extended swingarm and monoshok brackets. Stay tuned!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 85
Don't be skeered!
The multi wire connectors can't be mixed up as there aren't any duplicates in there. Now the bullet plugs? Need to note the colors there.
Congrats on scoring two and welcome aboard!

nj1639 is right that one still has the original colored wires and connections.
When you open it up and it is all electric tape, wire nuts and extension cords. . .
that is a heartache.

I think you would be throwing away perfectly good colored wire.
To be replaced by other colored wire you had to buy.
Unless you scrounged the wire from a refrigerator or dryer.

I think you would be throwing away perfectly good colored wire.
To be replaced by other colored wire you had to buy.
Unless you scrounged the wire from a refrigerator or dryer.

Nah,
domestic appliance wiring don't need to flex like vehicle wiring so it's conductors are braided from fewer fatter wires. And WTF you gonna find 2-colour stripey wire anyway?
BUT
Re-wiring from scratch?
Only if you are effing desperate and Ferk shouldn't be desperate as the photos show the bike still has it's stock harness.
Tried knitting a harness for a basket-case '79 out of the several partial harnesses from other years that came with it.
Succeeded too, once I decided that the central console's big red brake warning light working as the neutral light instead was actually an upgrade.
Thinking back on it though, that WAS a time I shoulda started over.

As it sits now :

The wiring harness is off (thank god) still going to take off miscellaneous parts before attempting the swingarm extension. Stay tuned!

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 82
Fabricated thebswingarm today. Used one off of an older xs. Welded some different shaped tubes on it and extended it a couple inches. Here is how it came out as well as the process of making it. (It is not finished yet still have to weld the cross member for the shock on)

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 106
Back