New here, a few of my projects

Rabbidmk1

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone-
My name is Aaron and I recently got into 650's after taking a few years off of owning motorcycles. The last bike I owned was a Ducati 748s and I dearly miss riding! I am out of Minneapolis and figured a 650 would be a perfect thing to keep me busy over the long winter and give me a bike in the end that is unique. That being said here are a few photos of the projects that I am working on/ assisting friends with. Its funny how the friend with the biggest and heated garage gets all of the other guys projects... :D

To start he is my personal 72 650.

full

It started off as a basic frame and a sourced CB200 tank I got from the junk yard.

full

You can see in this photo that I have made some pretty good progress mocking the bike up over the last 2 months or so.

The spec is pretty basic:
GSXR 750 front end
Tarozzi rear sets
19' Omars rear wheel conversion
Modified fiberglass cafe seat to match a narrowed frame
Omar's rear disc brackets
Fabricated mounts for the stock rear master and reservoir

Wanting Ohlins on a junk yard budget, I decided to get some cheap gas shocks for the rear.

full

Once the bike is done, I will muster up the gut to pay for proper shocks. For now these get the stance where I want it and will be a fine temporary solution.

This is a close friend of mine's build. A 75 XS650 with a Benelli tank (outer shell) that I mated to a stock XS650 tunnel. We did an 07 GSXR 1000 forks swap as well.

full

Finally here is another 650 that I am fabricating front caliper brackets for as well as wiring in a PMA and Pamco ignition. My friend Dan owns this bike and was the motivation for me to jump into the world of 650's.

full

full

Hope you enjoy the photos. This will likely turn into a build thread for both Cafe projects!

Aaron

Is that rear tire a Burt Monroe Special? :)
Welcome to the site. Looking forward to your progress over winter.

Is that rear tire a Burt Monroe Special? :)
Welcome to the site. Looking forward to your progress over winter.

If only it was that cool. Junk yard wheel and tire that magically held air to roll it around in the shop. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a good set of matching 19" tires? I would like to find something wider than the stock Avon's that came in the front of these bikes originally.

thanks, Aaron
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Looks fantastic! I'm always a fan of inverted front ends. Doesn't matter what bike they're on.

That street tracker looks pimpin!

Thanks guys! I'm pretty excited to have another project outside of the racecar. Quick question- being air cooled what are your opinions of powder cOating the engine case and cylinders?

Thanks! Aaron

Ok spent some time in the garage today and am pretty happy with the results. I tacked in my exhaust. This was the first time I have ever built an exhaust so needless to say it was a lot of fun!

Here are some pics:

full

full

full

Those rearsets look familiar :D Nice work man!! Getting started on my '78 finally. Built a work table for it and am in the process of cleaning out the garage to make room to wrench on it this winter!!

I'm from mpls area too. Nice builds. Well have to meet up someday....got a lil cafe style sticker and a Bobber :)

Posted via Mobile

Those rearsets look familiar :D Nice work man!! Getting started on my '78 finally. Built a work table for it and am in the process of cleaning out the garage to make room to wrench on it this winter!!

The seat should look familiar as well :) I look forward to seeing your bike once it is done!

I got some more work done in the garage tonight. Body work has never been my strong suit but I am pretty excited about how my tank has come. I need to do some more final light filler work but it is about 90% straight!

full

I hust received a set of 320mm Galfer rotors off of a 1990 FZR1000 to match the GSXR forks. These are mocked up for measurement currently. We are machining spacers to center the rotors in the calipers as well as to space the calipers out an extra 5mm to accommodate the larger diameter rotors than the Suzuki came with.

full

We also went junk yard hunting today (love digging through junk yards!) and found a pair of these cross drilled rear rotors. Not sure what they are from but they have the same outer diameter as a stock XS rotor and have the stock 6X80 BCD. I was also able to get the Ducati Brembo rear caliper mounted until the new hardware comes in.

full

Finally here is a shot of the whole bike just for kicks. :D

full

Next on the list of things to work on are:

1: Linkage for rear sets
2: Brake Lines
3: Front Brake spacers for rotors and calipers

:thumbsup: Aaron

It has been a little while since I have posted here but I have some nice progress shots of my cafe build.

full

full

full

full

I have most of the engine built up as well, I just haven't taken any pictures of it. I decided to go with the 700CC Hoos racing JE pistons without the base gasket for a 10.5:1 comp ratio. HHB 277 rephase, ported head and original Shell #1 cam with VM34's jetted by Gary Hoos. Once I get it all buttoned up I will dig into the PMA and Pamco and go kick only. I am pretty excited!

Back