New parts and a test ride.

XSLeo

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I put some new parts on my bike.
I got new tires, braided brake lines, chain and 17/30 sprockets.
I had a 16 mm M/C and rubber hoses on my dual disc front brake, I swapped the M/C for a 14 mm M/C off a special, works better then the 16 mm . I got the new brake lines installed. I got lines from Mike's, I like how you can swivel the ends, lets the lines lay in place nice.
I had a 140 wide rear tire and a 17/32 sprockets.
The fork springs I added are for a 76-83 Harley FX-FXE, XLC-XLCH. They have a 35 mm Showa fork. The springs are made from a heavier wire, .1875 vs .158 and are a bit longer 19 and 5/8 inches long vs 18 1/2.
I bought a set of flat caps. With the flat caps the sag was about the same as the old springs with the adjustable caps on the tightest setting. 35-36 mm.
I put the adjustable caps on. At the lightest setting I got about 25 mm sag. It was a bit of work but I got the adjuster to the second setting. I then got about 12-13 mm sag. AS hard as the second setting was to get I didnt try the third.
The test ride.
The brakes are even nicer now the feel is much better. A gentle two fingers will haul it down quick.
The ride of the new springs is a bit harsher, still very comfortable. No more bottoming out on the bumps. In the corners the bike is much more stable an confidence inspiring. It could be partly the new tires. Very pleased with my $44.95 springs.
With my 17/32-140 sprocket and tire combo the rpms at 60 were about 38-3900. Not bad.
With the 17/30-130 combo the rpms dropped to about 35-3600. A bit better. Even at that I can still putt around the backroads at 30 mph in high gear. I would do that in town, way to slow acceleration, in town stay down in third or second at 30.
Out crusing along, come around a tight curve about 50 mph, and something flies up from the roadside, I think it was a pidgeon. I did find anything when I went back to look.
I'm glad it was a bit cool and damp that day, last Thursday. I was wearing my 3/4 helmet with a flip up shield. As the bird flew up, I ducked , but it hit me in the upper right corner of my shield. If it was warmer and dryer I would have been wearing a 1/2 helmet and sunglasses. I think the bird hitting my face just above my right eye would have hurt much more. The blood and bird parts would heve been tough to clean out of my helmet.
Just a 100 feet down the road I started to feel the effect of the impact, my neck hurt. The next couple days were not fun.
I'm feeling much better now most of the pain is gone. My left shoulder still aches.
Not sure how much is from the bird strike or just my usual pain. Ever since I was about 12 and started working on the farm my back and shoulders have hurt.
I have never hit a bird before. I'm glad it wasn't a crow, or one of the big azz turkey buzzards I see along the roads sometimes.

I hit a buzzard on the back road from Orlando to Kississimmi going to work at Empire Yamaha in the 70's.....2 weeks with a sprained neck and if it had been a dirrect hit I doubt I would have made it..........I was going about 60.....felt like someone hit me with the end of a post....xsjohn

Back