New project for me while I wait........

plane_ben

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
About a month ago now, I went to DMV inspections to get the level II inspection on my chopper. They gave me the bad news that my engine was reported stolen back in 1988. So they had to confiscate my bike until they can determine any previous owner interest or insurance rights. So far there has been no insurance claims. The bike is in the control of the Pima County Sherriffs Dept., and they turned the pervious owner search over to Tucson police. They seem to be dragging there feet over the hole matter. Some of you may remember my other build on this board. I'm sure its ack about 30 pages or more.

complete1.jpg

So in the interim I've been getting going towards another bike build. The pictures are two 23" rims I laced with new stainless spokes and nipples from Bucannans. The rear hub is from the XS650 I picked up last year in Grand Junction and the front is from a XL500 of around '81 vintage. I had the rims and hubs powder coated satin black. Never laced a rim before, but figured if I wanted to take my next build to a new level for me, I'd have to learn. It turned out to be simpler than I'd imagined.

bt2.jpg

bt1.jpg

I'm going with an early boardtracker kind on look. Check this link to see what I'm kinda going for.

http://www.xs650chopper.com/2010/05/xs650-boardtracker-updated/

You know they are just taking turns riding that bike around. All DMV that i have dealt with can only go back 15 years before that it was all on MICRO FISH and unless someone is pulling your chain or showed you a paper they are only able to take motor and give you back legal frame. I have dealt with NY NJ PA DEL
I would get a lawyer they can hold you for recieveing stollen goods. SOMETHING IS FISHY. I have had motors and frames taken from me and no one ever said i will get back to you we are investagateing. Sounds to me they are building a case around YOU.
You live in small town?

23's! woo woo.. I have two 23in rims that I've had for about 2 1/2 years now waiting for my next project. I even have the bike I'm going to use. Never enough money or time.. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with your build.

dude why didnt they just take the engine aint the frame and parts urs??? bike looks cool hope they hurry u need to ride

There's a very good chance I'll get everything back.

23's! woo woo.. I have two 23in rims that I've had for about 2 1/2 years now waiting for my next project. I even have the bike I'm going to use. Never enough money or time.. Looks like I won't have the first XS with 23's front and rear. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with your build.

Thanks Travis. Looks like we both got beat to the punch. Did you check out the link I posted at the bottom? This guy did an awesome job.

^ Yes I did promptly after posting! That's why I edited that out of my post quickly hoping no one would see it! :laugh: Looks like you caught me though!

Oh well. Yes that is a nice looking bike.

Just got the news from Tucson PD. They are going to release my chopper back to me.:bike::bike::bike: No previous owner could be contacted, and no insurance liens. I'm happy!

Glad You are getting Your chop back! My 68 Mustang Fastback was stolen, back in the late 80's. I kept getting the run-around from the PD. I went on a search and destroy and found My own car, in the front yard of a known chop shop. The PD said there was no evidence (besides some bloody fingerprints, both on My car, and at the point at which it was stolen) After 3 months of being lied to and run around, the front page of the paper announced that several local cops were arrested for operating a stolen car ring.....

BTW, I am not suggesting that all cops are crooked. Both of My Nephews are LEO's, and I have many Friends in Law Enforcement.

man I really thought hard about doing a 23" front, but all that I could find for tires were either offroad or new chopper patterns... So I decided to go with the more widely accepted 21" Looking forward to seeing what you do though!

I hear you bigjimmy. I kind of like the off road tire look, and for what I have planned, it will fit right in. I'll definately start a seperate build tread when the time comes.

Pyroman, sorry to hear about your Mustang. Did you get it back intact? I had an XR650R stolen from me six or seven years ago, have never heard a word about it. Problably went to Mexico.

Great weekend! Did three shake out rides on the chopper Saturday. Fixed an oil leak, changed seat springs, lowered my seat hieght, and got the jetting almost where I want. Then Sunday I went to a car/motorcycle show. Didn't win anything, but had Andy 'The Male Stripper' do some work on my tins.

pinstripe5.jpg

pinstripe2.jpg

pinstripe3.jpg

Lowered seat.
pinstripe1.jpg

I'm really happy for you that you got your bike back! It is a really great looking machine.

How does it ride with that girder on there? I really like the look of your front end - it suits the bike perfectly!

Girder works great. You can see it operating over the bumps in the road. Pretty cool. It is a little subject to cross winds though. I don't think that is a girder fault, just the stretched out lentgh of a chopper. Thanks for the comments.

Back