New throttle cable adjustment

Quinn_McLeod

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've purchased a new throttle cable and I've got the adjustment on the cable set to zero (meaning no stretch), but when I put it into my carburetor, it's holding the throttle really far open. I can't get the carb to idle at zero throttle with the cable installed.

Am I missing something? Are there other places to adjust the cable, or do I need to adjust the throttle linkage on the carb?

I've attached pictures so you can see what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• 2015-11-02 13.43.18.jpg
    2015-11-02 13.43.18.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 539
  • 2015-11-02 13.43.23.jpg
    2015-11-02 13.43.23.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 706
  • 2015-11-02 13.43.27.jpg
    2015-11-02 13.43.27.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 432
  • 2015-11-02 13.43.30.jpg
    2015-11-02 13.43.30.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 431
If it's the correct cable, I'm guessing you don't have it installed correctly up at the other end, in the the twist grip. I have some extras not mounted. I could measure how much cable sticks out the bottom when pulled that way completely. That could tell you if yours is the right cable (not too short). Got a pic of the top end at the throttle housing?

Yea man, that's not right at all lol

When you set up the cable, leave the adjustment loose at the throttle and adjust it according to the lever at the carbs. Even with the right cable, you won't necessarily have a "zero" adjustment at the bars

Last edited:
To me it looks like the bracket on the carb is bent. I don't have my bike in front of me but I thought it was more of a straight pull.

Well as 5twins and I were leaning towards, the adjustment at the throttle needs some looking at
Loosen it up to where the lever at the caves touches the idle set screw and then snug up the adjustment at the throttle so it won't move. Then report back.

That's what I am saying I have nothing to adjust. As far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong), there is only one spot ON the cable near the bend that goes into the throttle assembly. And that I have adjusted all the way in both directions. From there, I was able to learn that the cable is pre-set to the zero position. Meaning that the cable can be pulled tighter once the cable has stretched, but since it's brand new, is set to zero stretch. This means that I have the maximum length to my cable. Which as you can see from the photos is not enough and is too short. Thus why the carb is not resting on the idle adjustment screw like it should be and has a large gap.

What I need to know is how to get that gap back to 'zero' (touching the throttle screw - like it does when there is no cable installed). Is there a different adjustment for this on the carb body itself?

Also take into account how your cable sheathing is routed could be restricting the inner core.
If you have your old cable I would take the new one off and lay it next to it to be sure it's correct length. Websites have been known to be wrong or list multiple cables for the same year possibly for different bar configurations.

And no, the only cable adjustment for these would be at the throttle to my knowledge.

Dang it.
Well, perhaps I was shipped the wrong cable. I don't remember having this issue with the old one. But yeah, I'll lay them next to each other and see what's up. Thanks for the tip.

I have that exact cable you have and there is about 2 3/4" of cable sticking out on the carb side from the end of sheathing to the beginning of the ferrule with the adjuster all the way in, cable off the bike.

Last edited:
Back