New to bikes and the xs650

jmasc1

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I just picked up and XS650 for a decent price for a winter build and have a problem. It seems when I push down on the kick start nothing happens, it's not hard to push though and goes down all the way. I do not hear the motor doing anything though.

Is the kickstarter possible broken?

Thanks in advance

Are you pulling the clutch in when kicking it? That disengages the kicker from the motor and it will just push through.

Then something could be amiss. The kicker gear and return spring assembly is under the right side cover. It needs to be installed a certain way with the return spring pre-loaded to work properly. Someone may have had the cover off and reassembled things on the kicker incorrectly. When you pull that right cover, the kick shaft can come out with it if you're not careful and hold it in with your thumb as you remove the cover. If it comes out, it need to be re-set. Instructions are in the shop manual which is on-line here .....

http://www.biker.net/

Another possibility is that the clutch is slipping. As I said, the kicker is connected to the motor through the clutch. If the clutch is disengaged (or slipping), the kicker won't work. It could be as simple as having the adjustment too tight or it might be something wrong in the clutch itself (like worn out plates).

I played with the cable, I believe the clutch was not disengaged. Now the kick level does not move at all though.

When I put the bike in fifth gear and move in the in reverse position it breaks free as it seems then I'm able to get about 1 kick on the lever...

One of my buddies said to try and take the plugs out and kick it over? Tried it and still won't move...any ideas?

Is the engine free? Leave the plugs out, remove left hand alternator cover and try turning it counterclockwise with a socket on the nut in the centre of the rotor - should turn relatively easily with plugs out. Don't force it if too tight though. Remove valve covers and check for correct operation - is a piston fouling a valve?

Otherwise, what 5twins said.

Is the engine free? Leave the plugs out, remove left hand alternator cover and try turning it counterclockwise with a socket on the nut in the centre of the rotor - should turn relatively easily with plugs out.

Did exactly that and it worked?
I think it had something to do with the clutch cable after all. I'm not really sure.

Did a cold compression test and it showed 140psi on both.

Now to get this thing all sorted out and running.

With those compression numbers it sounds like you might have a runner.
I might suggest doing all the tune up steps. Adjust cam chain tension, the valve adjustment. If you have points, the gap and timing. New plugs, fresh oil, fresh gas.
Check for spark. Fully charged good battery.
I like to use an oil can with a trigger type pump, fill it with gas, one or two squirts down each spark plug hole.
Now with gas turned on, key on, kill switch on, choke on, give it a good kick. It should at least pop a bit. May need a couple kicks. If it starts, runs a bit and quits the carbs probably need cleaning.

Back