New worm gear question

I put a tape measure on it and it's right at 2 1/4", (looked like 3"). So it's still over 1/4" out. WTF? :banghead: To pull the clutch cover I have to drain the oil, right?
Maybe the PO put an extra ball in there, and that's why the gear housing broke in the first place??? That's about the right diameter, 1/4". Damn PO!

I certainly hope that's it. The ball is 5/16", so you're there. You're not the first, probably not the last to experience this. Now, to find that mini-magnet to fish it out...

Well, the seal looked pretty bad anyway, so I yanked it out and tipped the bike over as far as I could and sure enough... 2 shiny little ball bearings rolled on to my drop cloth. All this time I thought I was an idiot, (well my wife might still say that I am), and there was a second ball in there. Now to order a new seal, and the gasket cover is shot to hell too. Thanks for all the help! This site is a real life saver for those of us less than mechanically inclined XS enthusiasts! :D

Side note; the go-to way to loosen the nut on the screw is a 12mm socket on an impact wrench, a short burst or two does it and it avoids damage to the arm grease cover etc.

Back