newbie intro

62pyro

Reaction score
I just thought I'd tell you guys a little about myself.I'm a 47 year old single father.I work as a machinist and have always wanted a custom bike.Due to having a child and former bad habits,it's always been out of my budget.A couple of years ago I was looking through "The Horse" and saw an XS650 bobber.It really caught my eye.Now that I've eliminated (eliminating) the bad habits,I decided it was time to start thinking more about a bike.Picked up an "81 special a couple of weeks ago to ride during the summer and plan to bob it over the winter.Right now I just need to get a couple of things worked out so it's roadworrthy for the summer.Any tips or advice on these is welcome.

Pat

Welcome to the XS650 world. These are real fun bikes..................easy to repair and a hoot to ride. If your bike still has the original type fuse panel with glass fuses, you need to remove it and replace with automotive blade type fuses. The original panels are worn out and will cause many problems.
Here's a link:
http://www.650central.com/tech/tips.htm

Welcome to the XS650 world. These are real fun bikes..................easy to repair and a hoot to ride. If your bike still has the original type fuse panel with glass fuses, you need to remove it and replace with automotive blade type fuses. The original panels are worn out and will cause many problems.
Here's a link:
http://www.650central.com/tech/tips.htm

Thanks.I'll look into it once I figure out the charging problem.My lack of experience working on bikes is really showing right now.:banghead:

Welcome Pat! What are your plans for the build?

Plans are to ride it this summer and hardtail over the winter.

When you get a new to you XS650 check the alternator brushes. easy to do and likely to be worn out. Figure on rechecking them about every 5 to 8,000 miles.

When you get a new to you XS650 check the alternator brushes. easy to do and likely to be worn out. Figure on rechecking them about every 5 to 8,000 miles.

I've already checked those and they're fine.The guy I got it from said he replaced the stator.I'm slowly going through the checks in the Clymer's manual.Unfortunately,the bike is at my brothers so it is taking more time than I want.

Welcome aboard. You said "I just need to get a couple things worked out" What are the few things? We can't help unless we know whats wrong.

Welcome aboard. You said "I just need to get a couple things worked out" What are the few things? We can't help unless we know whats wrong.

It has a charging problem but,after some testing,I've come to the conclusion it's the rotor.Just need to get that replaced and then it's just some tuning.

You asked for advice so...
Check the swing arm for slack, figure on Brass bushings (or needle rollers) if it is sloppy. with the front wheel off the ground see if the steering bearing is notchy If so tapered rollers are the normal fix. Check for functioning air cleaners, the stockers are almost always falling apart. The front brakes need to be rebuilt. Even if they are still working they are full O shmit. The piston in the caliper is corroded. After 8 calipers apart in the last week it was 100% on piston rust. A couple were reusable but all had it, some (even working ones) were horrid. the lines are old and should be replaced and likely a new master cylinder is a good idea.

I am so confused, is a bobber always a hardtail?
I was thinkin he might be thinkin hardtail, then again the mention might help him realize why maybe his bike is handling like it has a hinge in the middle!

Thanks.I'll look into it once I figure out the charging problem.My lack of experience working on bikes is really showing right now.:banghead:

Plans are to ride it this summer and hardtail over the winter.

I am so confused, is a bobber always a hardtail?
I was thinkin he might be thinkin hardtail, then again the mention might help him realize why maybe his bike is handling like it has a hinge in the middle!

Lol Nah he just wrote that he's going to ride it this summer and hardtail it over the winter.

I say go ahead and install brass bushings now.. then when you hardtail it, send the swingarm to me. :D

62pyro,

Replace the rear shocks with a length of angle iron and ride it around this summer to get a "feel" for a hardtail before you take that first cut on the frame. :thumbsup:

Back