Newbie - What forks are these?

SpitfireOps

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

Excellent site and forums here. I recently bought a clean 80 XS650 Special II. Liked it so much, I picked up another 78 and needs some love (or a sawall).

The 78 sat outside for at least a year and the previous owner put duct tape on top of the forks because there are no fork caps. These forks are different than the '80 and Clymer manual is no help.

There is some kind of adjustment visible where the cap should be, and there are no threads to even screw on a cap. All the caps I find by Google have threads except for the rubber caps like are on my 80, which won't fit on these (and go over a threaded cap anyway). Do I just need a different rubber cap and where do I get it?

How do these forks even come apart? I am sure the oil needs changed.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Fork cap.jpg
    Fork cap.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 174
A pic of the fork lowers showing the brakes may help us id those forks. One thing I can say is they are not XS650 forks.
To remove the cap in those forks you have to push them down and remove a clip. The clip looks like a wire.
What handlebars does it have? They are not stock either.
A few pics of the bike so we can see it better will be greatly appreciated.
I think it has a lot of things not XS650 on it.
Leo

Thanks for the reply. Only have these pics right now and they aren't real good. You can see the lowers are different, though.

The bike was set up for a short person with lowering blocks in rear and weird, pull-back risers.

Attachments

• XS650 in truck.jpg
    XS650 in truck.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 141
  • 78 XS650.jpg
    78 XS650.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 150
Its an xs750 front end. I used to have a 750 with a front end just like it.

The axle being in front of the fork leg, and the view inside the top of the tube make me certain.

The good news is that they use a lot of the same components as the 650 front end, if you ever want to swap it back to the 'correct' one.

Those might be Virago forks. They're definitely not XS650 forks.

Thanks for the info. I think I will just use them as they seem to work ok. They are longer than the 650s.
Still need to find caps.

The wheels swap. The brake rotors don't. They used two 10.5 inch, 267 mm rotors. That front end uses the brake caliper that mounts with a single bolt up into the large boss on the rear of the fork.
You don't needs caps. You have caps. As I said you press the caps down to reveal the clip that holds the cap in place. There may be rubber plugs that fit the caps to make them look better. Like the XS650 adjustable caps have rubber plugs.
You might find them online somewhere. I might look them up on boats.net just so you can see what they look like.
Are they 35 or 36 mm tubes? My friends XJ750 has 36 mm tubes. The same as my XJ650.
Leo

Back