No spark again.

nikiforova

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So the worst happened. Someone pulled out of the drive through right in front of my. I swerved out of the way and in the process clipped a curb with my exhaust on the right side. The whole thing is dented pretty badly on itself and the bike died right there. I am entirely okay though.

Kick only, and won’t spark. Checked all my connections here in a parking lot and everything looks to be connected fine, just the way it was before. What could cause the bike not to fire after being hit on the right side? I assume quite a bit of that impact got passed onto the right side case. Currently sitting in the parking lot scratching my head and screaming expletives

Wow! Sorry to hear that Niki. So don't ride it too much or too hard with the pipe collapsed as it can cause damage from heat, etc. It may not want to start plugged-off like that.

If it's not sparking, my guess is a connection has got knocked loose – maybe the kill switch.

I'm no longer running the factory kill switch controls or nothing. I checked the connections from the battery to the fuse box to the ignition system. The TCI is still wired up, the coil is still connected, and the pickups are still connected. I tried replacing the ignition fuse and that didn't change anything. The last thing I tried was loosening the clutch adjuster assembly in hopes that maybe the clutch wasnt disengaging and thus the kickstart wasnt working, but that is the farthest that I got.

It seems like something electrical is the main culprit which is relieving. I got a ride home and will probably head back that way in a little while to push it once traffic dies down

I'm no longer running the factory kill switch controls or nothing. I checked the connections from the battery to the fuse box to the ignition system. The TCI is still wired up, the coil is still connected, and the pickups are still connected. I tried replacing the ignition fuse and that didn't change anything. The last thing I tried was loosening the clutch adjuster assembly in hopes that maybe the clutch wasnt disengaging and thus the kickstart wasnt working, but that is the farthest that I got.

It seems like something electrical is the main culprit which is relieving. I got a ride home and will probably head back that way in a little while to push it once traffic dies down
Went back and double checked all my connections. Nothing seemed out of place. Power from battery to fuse box, fuse box out to ignition, alternator and rectifier, coil and pickups, TCI all connected properly and still no spark. My taillight comes on when I turn the switch so it’s not the main fuse. No blown fuse lights on my box so it’s not that either. I still haven’t gotten a multimeter so I guess this is my excuse to get a nice one and check resistances once again. I might hookup the gonzo to see if that will fire to either rule out or raise questions about my TCI (I had to do that this morning).
Perhaps it is my exhaust. It clipped before the two pipes converge into one so only one of the pipes is caved in, and quite badly at that.

Went back and double checked all my connections. Nothing seemed out of place. Power from battery to fuse box, fuse box out to ignition, alternator and rectifier, coil and pickups, TCI all connected properly and still no spark. My taillight comes on when I turn the switch so it’s not the main fuse. No blown fuse lights on my box so it’s not that either. I still haven’t gotten a multimeter so I guess this is my excuse to get a nice one and check resistances once again. I might hookup the gonzo to see if that will fire to either rule out or raise questions about my TCI (I had to do that this morning).
Perhaps it is my exhaust. It clipped before the two pipes converge into one so only one of the pipes is caved in, and quite badly at that.
Another update: I’ve been running a 1.3ah battery with a switch for my headlight and an LED strip taillight. I grabbed a multimeter today and my battery was reading 10.25!! Huge weight off my shoulders. Charging it up now and hopefully it’ll start right up. A little weirded out if that was the issue, I haven’t had any charging problems lately. Also, no issues ohming anything. All seems in check.

Moving onto exhaust. Im definitely bummed that I’m gonna scrap the Mac exhaust. It’s the end of riding season here so its probably about time to park the bike in the shop and overhaul it for next season. With my luck that shop will burn down or something that throws off all my plans.

Im was thinking about rebuilding the engine, but I am also very intrigued by just doing a 750 big bore swap. I’m not asking anyone to go into too much detail here about it because there’s plenty of other threads explaining this process. But what are y’all’s thoughts on the 750 kit with the pistons and gaskets? Doesn’t seem like I could really go wrong with it for $500 (minus cam and pistons) shipped so long as we build it properly.

I'd like to see a battery 5.5Ah or more. The old Yamaha kickstart only bikes used that size so it should live with charging and ignition systems. The low Ah is getting quite a workout.

If I were to do a top-end, I'd also want to redo the valve-train as a matter of practice.

I'd like to see a battery 5.5Ah or more. The old Yamaha kickstart only bikes used that size so it should live with charging and ignition systems. The low Ah is getting quite a workout.

If I were to do a top-end, I'd also want to redo the valve-train as a matter of practice.
I’m thinking of wiring a few of the 1.3s for the time being. I want to switch to a pamco as well this winter.
Got the bike started. The TCI went out! Guess I’m on the gonzo train for the time being. Good enough to get me home before checking the timing

Don't throw it out. There are people who repair those.
Oh my parts collection is slowly eating all the space in my spare room. I can’t get myself to throw out the remnants of the wiring harness let alone a TCI. I’ve got two that aren’t working. First was fried when welding and this second one has been unreliable for the past week or so and finally went out yesterday.

If anyone sees this and rebuilds them shoot me a DM. Otherwise I will find you and I will send you some boxes.

Back