noob needs help!!!

agclark719

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hey all just looking for a quick answer! i picked up a 72 for next to nothing and am planing on going downt the cafe route for me and the wife (my daily is a 97 cbr900rr) so my question is what year did they switch to the dual front disk and how hard of a swap is it? i want to keep it as simple as possable!

cheers tony

The stock bikes never came with dual front discs in North America. The stock bikes did come with dual front discs in Europe in some years.

Just be aware that the stock discs are heavy, and so a second one on the front just adds a lot of unsprung weight. If you go that route, try to get 5 mm discs to save some weight.

A better idea would be to use a single Brembo caliper on the front. Take a look at my album to see what they look like.

The 72 has a completely different hub and rotor than all the other front disk models, (34mm and 35mm forks). Don't think it can have the twin disc set up

There was a recent thread on this

Ok thanks guys now my forks are 35mm right? And is there any way to up grade from the stock front mount caliper? The bike has no front brakes on it now so i was considering just buying a caliper from mikesxs and using a steel bradded line i have kicking around

If your bike is a '72 and the forks are original, they would be 34mm tubes. The calipers used on the 34mm forks mount differently than the ones used on the later 35mm forks (different hole spacing). I think the calipers Mike sells are for the later forks.

You may have picked this bike up for next to nothing but it is going to cost more than a later model to fix up. Parts are harder to find and usually cost more when you do. The motors weren't as robust and the same parts availability/pricing pitfalls apply to them.

Ok thx for the info. Im not worried too much about the power this is going to be more of a around town cruser than a twistie ripper but i want it to have more of the modern safty like better brakes and tires and sutch because this will be a 2 up bike

A kit like this will allow you to mount a Brembo Gold Caliper. You can use the stock rotor but you need to modify the caliper a little. It's not hard. Or you could buy a new floating rotor but then you will need to make some spacers as the offset is different. Again not too hard. Massive upgrade and weight saving. You will have to shop around for a calliper, although sometimes pandamonium have them.

http://newstore.pandemoniumcustomch...kes/pandemonium-brake-kit-3mm-for-xs650-copy/

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Aprilia-RSV-...Parts&hash=item4abcedca94&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_794

Back