Not sure really

mortikan

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
so my bike sat for two years needing a new set of rings pistons and top end.

so finally I got the dough together to buy parts and got the old girl back together. she runs and sounds great. I try to put her into gear and she stalls.

I did put castrol gtx 20w-50 I think this might be the problem I have not had a chance to check.
but I start her let the bike warm up and on the center stand I can put it in gear and shift first through 5th. with me on it or with me off it while on center stand.

If I put it on the ground she goes into gear but as soon as I release the clutch she bogs till she stalls. I have adjusted the clutch like manual says with the adjuster. I removed the front caliper to make sure it was not front brake holding me up. I am going to undo the rear brake tonight just to verify it is not that.
I did not touch the bottom end of the engine and she was working perfectly before I had ring issue.
could it be the oil is to slick to allow me to engage? I am going to dump gtx tonight and get the penzoil I was running before. I am trying to eliminate the simple things before I pull the clutch. my thought is that if she goes into gear while on center stand then the plates are not sticking together. If she would not go at all I would assume sticking. maybe I am wrong not sure.

any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

Sounds like the clutch is engaged. On the stand she might shift easier, no load. Try putting the bike in 1st, engine off. Pull in the clutch and see if the bike rolls. It might be hard to start rolling but should move without motor rotation. On the center stand can you pull in the clucth while in any gear and running then apply the rear brake to stop the rear wheel?

Just see if it will roll in neutral instead of cracking the brakes open. It doesn't bog until you release the clutch, so the clutch disengages. Give it a ton of gas as you release the clutch and see what makes noise or smokes :)

Runs good sounds great no load, but falls out under load. I would look at the fuel delivery part.

Back