oil filter/oil cooler combo

uknowme2goog

XS650,1980, Bobber
Reaction score
Has anyone every installed the after market oil filter/oil cooler combo sold by Mikes XS?
Today, I ordered it for $129.00. I have a 1980 XS650. They say no modifactions are required and it will extend the life of the oil and motor.

Please provide some feed back on this product....Thanks John

I've had one on my 77 for about a year and no problems. Just follow the directions that come with the kit.

I love mine. Filters are available at Pep boys and other auto store that have cycle filters.

Can't buy a part and expect it to extend the life of the oil, (Wrong, oil has a life expectancy, and shorter in harsh environments, Read handbook on regular maintenance), and motor...............Regular maintenance and oil changes are the only thing to guarantee the longevity of a motor. The paper filter may help if some broken parts got through the bottom sump.

The slighly better filtration might let you god a bit longer between oil changes. Maybe get 2000 miles between changes. The oil cooler part will drop oil temps maybe 5 to 7 degrees. This will help prevent oil breakdown from too high of an oil temp.
Both of these things combined may extend the engine life. But regular oil changes at 1000-1500 miles as well as all the other regular maintainance the bike needs will extyend the life as much as anything.
You have to remember these engines were not built to be 100,000 mile engines. 20,000-30,000 maybe.
Leo

I dig mine.....I dont go any further on oil changes....I just think it makes it more convenient to change the oil when I can toss the old filter and put a new one in. The filters are cheap ($2.25 each from my local cycle place). I guess I could have bought another strainer to keep clean and swap for easy/quick oil changes but I figured the paper filter might do a better job filtering.

12399_3912998922744_2000097666_n.jpg

Another oil related thing I dig....but dont have a direct picture of....my dipstick thermometer.

engine.jpg

Back