Omar's....yes, no, maybe, never again, never mind?

It is glass from GPSW. When I first installed it, I had trouble with the carbs seemingly getting dirty. The bike would sit for several weeks and after running it, shutting off, and starting a few weeks later, run like crap/. Clean carbs and all was good. This happened several times. All with same fuel source, that I still use. A Shell in Edgerton Wi that is on my way home when I go to the Northwoods snowmobiling. Closest place to me with non ethanol premium. . After the last cleaning last summer things have been fine. I do start slightly more often, but she purr's. I may have had some bad gas at first not sure. Nothing ever showed in carbs. I installed the tank as sent, maybe it had some residue in it.So far so good. I keep non ethanol premium in it , refill from a 5 gal can, with Gas RX additive. I filled that can last in March and added the Gas RX then. I don't see any failure of the tank, and it has been full since I bought it in August 2012, summer heat and in cold storage.

I have tanks from Jake at Grandprix and Gopher Glass on my flattrackers and streettracker and highly recommend them. All are Champion style. I suggest ordering the tank with forward mount race petcocks as the XS650 leaves little room for gas lines with rear petcocks. The seat/fender combos came from Gopher and Redwing. The nicest seat fender units are Champion or Knight. It is best to fabricate an inner tubing brace from the rear shock area for the seat. Real good guys to deal with.
....Mel....

I have tanks from Jake at Grandprix and Randy at Gopher Glass on my flattrackers and streettracker and highly recommend them. All are Champion style. I suggest ordering the tank with forward mount race petcocks as the XS650 leaves little room for gas lines with rear petcocks. The seat/fender combos came from Gopher and Redwing. The nicest seat fender units are Champion or Knight. It is best to fabricate an inner tubing brace from the rear shock area for the seat. Real good guys to deal with.
....Mel....

Thanks for the feedback. I already have the Omar seat so my question is this--how will the tank from either one of these guys fit up to that Omar seat? Dave, didnt you have to redo because of a gap?

I mounted my Omars seat cowl before I bought the tank from GPSW and have not moved the cowl from it's initial mounting. I think my tank is back a little further than Slide's if you look at them from the side. Look at how much neck is exposed on each. He has those plates welded on his to give it a better look. I did move the tank mounts back on the center tube a little compared to my first attempt, to get the tank closer to the seat. I also just set my pad a little farther forward on the cowl. I think it mates up pretty good, and am happy with the look. Also follow Mels advice and order your petcock thread on the forward bottom of the tank. Look in my thread for more pics.

From this gap
032.jpg

To this

Last edited:
My tank is mounted like Slides. The Omars rear seat cowl sits lower. You can use those same rubber well nuts in the rear, but they go right into the moon shaped piece of sheet metal below Slides riser bracket. On the front I am using the original tank threaded stud mount rear mount. A piece of rubber under the cowl, and then a plastic cone on the top of the cowl Then just bolted down using the original tank bolt and washer. The cone is a stud plate for a snowmobile track stud. I'll try to get a pic posted.

Last edited:
I apologize for the experience you've had in the past. I am taking over the Omars business and have manufactured the fiberglass products since the beginning. As you all know Robert has gone out of business. I have a high respect for him and will miss our working relationship. I know the importance of customer service and earning your business is of the utmost importance to me. The product wait times have been an issue. My commitment to you is provide a faster turn around time and ship your product in a timely manner. If you would like to order products, please contact me at omarsfiberglass@gmail.com Thank You, Kevin

Hi,
At this point, I'm set up for fiberglass only however, I'm in the process of transitioning other products but don't have a time frame yet. If you have fiberglass needs, please email me and I would love to help you out. Soon, I will have a website set up where you can order the products online.

Thank you for the inquiry.

Kevin

Back