Pamco Pete doesn't lie!

Most places that sell grease have moly based grease, I have seen it at TSC and Harbor Freight, as well as most parts stores.
Leo

If you find yourself absent mindedly scratching your ear with your toe while thinking about what to do next..... You might want to check your advance rod and springs. I think pulling, polishing, lubing the advance rod is about a must on any barn find bikes or any XS that's new to you (me). Great thread pregrid. I keep saying I am not kick starting bikes anymore but the next day there I am grunting away.

I removed the ATU rod and found the moly grease had dried up and the weights were not snapping back. Cleaned up the rod and applied some 20W50 oil to the rod bearing surfces.

I also found that the OEM springs seemed to be a little stretched. I noticed that the small loops at each end of the springs, where they attach to the weight and to the post, had opened up making the spring longer. With a gentle squeeze using pliors, I re-formed the end loops back into the correct shape.

The weights now spring back quite smartly, which is a joyous thing to behold.:)

No time to test run engine to-day, but that's why they make tomorrows.

Yes, the advance rod needs to be serviced on pretty much every one of these bikes now. This was never mentioned in any of the manuals. I guess Yamaha didn't figure these bikes would be around this long, lol. I serviced mine about 7 years ago when I first got the bike running. It's been fine ever since. I will be doing it again this season. I have some of those fancy stainless Allen plugs for the rocker arm ends to go on. That means the rod has to come out and the points and advance housings off. I also need to peen my advance weights.

Back